Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Wanting to buy an R1????

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  R6Juiced 
#1 ·
So i have only been riding for abt a year and a half now but im pretty good. Ive put abt 8000 miles on my 6 since i bought it(2006 raven). But im giving it to the girlfriend to ride and learn on...shes athletic and spunky enough to handle it i think.

Anyway the real issue....i went to the motorcycle convention in washington DC this past month and sat on all the liter bikes....let me tell you how much better the R1 felt over the GSXR1000, the ZX-10R, and the CBR1000. Landslide difference. I live just south of Toledo, OH and i know the guys at HondaEast in Maumee and they have sales on the R1's for 9999 brand new occasionaly. I like top of the line stuff, but at the same time just like to ride and push the bike to its limits....whatever bike it is...so my question is....

With all the new improvements to the new R1 since lets say 2004(cause thats as old as i would buy) is it worth it for me to buy a new 08 R1 for 10000 or find a cheaper 04 or 05 even 06 R1 for the right deal?

Thank to all who reply!

Big Stew:popcorn:

#3 ·
Well i like the liquid silver color that came out back in what? 2004 or 2005. But the new R1 Raven has gold stickers and such.

And last year i converted my 6 to look like that(pc'd the pass pegs, rear sets, kickstand, rear brake lever, rims etc all gold...too include redoing all the stickers from silver and red to silver and gold) and the way my 6 looks having an R1 that looks just like it would make for a nice side by side pic...haha...

thanks

#7 ·
Now that i think abt it....i like all white R1's alot....so if i could pick up a white one or a 04-05-06 for cheaper than a new bike and use the saved money to paint it that would be sweet.....

Anyone out there got a white R1 for sale...haha

#8 ·
I started out on a 02 R6, had it for a year and bought a liquid silver 04 R1. I liked the R1 much more than the R6, I personally thought it had more useable power for the street. Whether I was moving at a slow speed in traffic or moving quick on a backroad I always felt more comfortable on the R1. I got rid of the R1 too get out of debt and I just bought a 07 R6 after 2 years of not having a bike. I dont have enough time on the new R6 too compare the two.
I think it all comes down too rider preference. You will never know until u try one though. One thing is for sure my biggest regret is getting rid of my R1.

just my 2 cents
Sean

#10 · (Edited)
I'm not positive of this, someone else may know for sure. The 07 models had programming issues with either the chip controlled throttle or the chip controlled intake system, don't recall which. This was supposed to have been sorted out for the 08 model year. Below is a link to what I was talking about, looks like maybe a glitch with the YCC-T...

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.asp?section_id=12&article_id=465

Edit: Another link to a fix for this concern...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=5022&Page=1

#11 ·
Big Stew,
Have you ridden a liter bike, first of all. In my humble opinion, 1.5 years on a bike is not enough time on a bike if, as you say, you like pushing the limits. You are talking about a 50(+) hp jump...give or take.

I just went the other direction in racing, endurance 05-06 r1 and now sprinting 07 r6....rode the r6 first time in race prep last weekend and do not see how anyone with more than 3-4 years on the street would ever buy a 600(regardless of brand)for the street. It makes an unbelievable razor sharp race bike at full boogy, but on the street liter bikes are more fun and easier to ride. Stick with the 600 just a bit longer, teach your girl WELL, and them move to the liter bike. Save the cash, pay cash and reduce your insurance, because I bet the cost jumps alot! Regardless, have fun and be safe.
Peace!

#12 ·
I would shop around a bit first. There is a dealership here in WI where I can get a brand new "07" R1 for $8,999.00. I was going to get the R1 for my next bike, but I too went to the IMS show in Minneapolis and decided to go with the MV Agusta F4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.