Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

ducati 848evo or panigale or stay with the 6??

34K views 159 replies 37 participants last post by  StndIbnz 
#1 ·
ok so i know this has been beat to death a bajillion times and it really depends on what i want..but my temptation to get a ducati has been drilling me these past few months just dont know if i should pull the trigger and get it...its either going to be an 848 evo or the new panigale, more so the panigale s....im just curious to the maintenance costs as a daily rider (about a 60 mile commute daily not including pleasure rides) ive riden the 848 several times and i liked it and can only imagine how the new panigale rides ive sat on it and surprisingly it was comfier than the 848 to me...thoughts from you ducati owners would be much appreciated

im really not concerned with comfort to be honest so thats not really a problem...i know its a different ride compared to jap bikes but i only have 1 friend who dailys his 848 and he doesnt ride as much as i do but he said go for it...any info/thoughts would be awesome... thanks guys!!

#3 ·
If I had to choose between the r6 I had, the 636 I have, or the 848 I have to commute on, the 848 would be my last choice without question.:laugh

#4 ·
well the 848 is on the list but honestly i prefer my r6 over it so its not really what im really after..the panigales looks just amazes me so my quesiton i guess would be towards the panigale mainly

#6 ·
Will you get $20,000 of additional enjoyment out of it compared to the 6? When I look at other bikes in that manner it's like you're throwing money away at that point. Especial IMO because you're comparing two bikes built for similar purposes.

#8 ·
If you seriously look at bikes and think about throwing away money.... Why do you even own one?

Bikes are not investments or something you buy to get $$$ back on. Bikes are a fcuking hobby and a money pit. I'm waiting to pay off my r6 to go get me a multistrada.... Sure, I can go buy a drz for a lot cheaper.... But why don't I? Because, I dig the Duc.... $$$ Doesn't even cross my mind when I shop for bikes. I get what I want and try to work a deal out and then I buy it lol.

If your budget doesn't allow for it, then Yeah, shop within your means. But I don't shop and think about how much am I going to get out of a $10-$20-$40 bike.... I shop for what I like.

So OP. get what ever you want bro. I personally didn't get a Duc when I was shopping due to the fear of me crashing it. Sure, I felt the same way with my R6 but.... It's not a Duc lol. maintenance scares me on the ducs as well but a buddy of mine that owns one said they aren't that bad if you do your own maintenance.... Luckily he offered to show me a couple of times on how to do the regular maintenance and the valve checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
I love my Ducati, but in all honesty, its pretty boring compared to the R6 unless you ride it like an all out hooligan.:laugh And the gearing is kinda funky. Still though, no one EVER looked at my r6 like they do at my Ducati literally every time I take it out. I always get people asking me about it and complimenting me on it, especially at the gas station for some reason. And lets face it, the sound is orgasmic. Still though, sometimes a quiet, non vibratory, comfortable(ish) japanese bike is the way to go, especially if that way takes you down a bunch of interstate.

#11 ·
There is no perfect bike

R6:
Beautiful bike, does it job very well. Fantastic machine if you intend to assist track days some time, cheapest maintenance and aftermarket accessories.
Underpowered on the street RPM range (it really flies at a track, high rpm machine designed for a track). Need gearing at first mod.
If you are not concerned about impressing people it is simply the best equation on price/performance/maintenance.

Panigale:
Much more performance than you may need. It is not about performance on this machine for street riding usage. It is about paying too much cash for owning the ferrari’s bike. Not by performance, because it is the coolest, sexiest, ever!
BIG COMPLAIN you legs/ass will be burned, it is insane how much heat you will experience unless on full leathers at a speed!!! Be careful on this, it really depends where you live (weather).

848:
Very nice choice for having one of the sexiest bike at a reasonable price compared to panigale. Again it is not about performance. It is about owning an Italian design over the r6.

#12 ·
If you have Panigale bread, why not the new MV or the RSV4. If I was buying another Italian, Id be hard pressed to pass up the APRC RSV4:fact

#53 ·
Personally I was looking into ditching my R6 for the HP4, but after a few performance mods, The R6 is a new machine at the cost of a few hundred bucks. Maybe give that a go, though I know the Swag is strong in you young skywalker. Btw if you sell the r6 let me know what you plan to do with that sweet rear tire huger :laugh

Agreed The 1199 has some kinks to be worked out from what I read.

If you seriously look at bikes and think about throwing away money.... Why do you even own one?

Bikes are not investments or something you buy to get $$$ back on. Bikes are a fcuking hobby and a money pit. I'm waiting to pay off my r6 to go get me a multistrada.... Sure, I can go buy a drz for a lot cheaper.... But why don't I? Because, I dig the Duc.... $$$ Doesn't even cross my mind when I shop for bikes. I get what I want and try to work a deal out and then I buy it lol.

If your budget doesn't allow for it, then Yeah, shop within your means. But I don't shop and think about how much am I going to get out of a $10-$20-$40 bike.... I shop for what I like.

So OP. get what ever you want bro. I personally didn't get a Duc when I was shopping due to the fear of me crashing it. Sure, I felt the same way with my R6 but.... It's not a Duc lol. maintenance scares me on the ducs as well but a buddy of mine that owns one said they aren't that bad if you do your own maintenance.... Luckily he offered to show me a couple of times on how to do the regular maintenance and the valve checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
Good point Motorcycles are toys really expensive dangerous toys :laugh

Sweet :boob batman!

Get the new Bimmer S1KRR HP4 if you have the means. You could use the extra that the Ducati costs to trick that bish out. Only issue you would ever have is a possible seizure from looking at the front end..but who sees that when you are on the road anyways :fact

Good luck with your choices man :mrgreen:
The HP4 depending on the model is about the same price around 18 or 19 for the base HP4 and around 24 to 25k for the fully loaded carbon fiber bad ass race machine with lights on it.

Honestly The HP4 & 1199 would be horrid commuter bikes IMO these are full blown Race machines, built aggressive meant to be ridden aggressive not sitting in tracffic behind some old bitch doing 40mph.

Take this from a guy that has owned a few bikes...nothing beats a Gixxer as a commuter/beater bike. 1199 is hot and 848 cooks well too (I have ridden both in an aggressive manner). 1199 needs to get it's kinks worked out before they can re-attack BMW, 848's bottom end is weak. My S1RR cuts corners like glass but my hands go numb every 5 minutes from vibrations. Plus the seat is horrid too.
Odd I found the seat on the BMW far more comfortable than the R6

Do you guys recommending the HP4 know how much it costs???
19 to 25k depending on model I'm sure they also want a few Gypsy tears.

I prefer my r6 to my s1000rr on most days. The r6 handles better and therefore is more confidence inspiring. Sure, the s1k blows the r6 away at a launch, but its not like a 600 is really a slouch 0-60 either. I dont mind the seat on the s1k, but maybe thats because I have a 2012 and as I understand it the seat was changed. What year is yours? Also, I agree the vibrations are annoying but I only get them between 6-7000 rpm or so, so I just cruise outside that range.

When I got my s1krr I thought I had outgrown my r6 and it was time for more powa, and I wanted a taste of all the tech advancements the new bikes have. I thought Id sell my r6 eventually because I figured Id be so enamoured with the BMW that the r6 would be a dust collector... but the BMW made me appreciate what an awesome machine the r6 really is. Admittedly, I am not comparing a stock r6 to the BMW but just thought Id add my 2c.

Oh, and get the Aprilia RSV4 APRC if you are set on an Italian. Its a much nicer machine than the Duc
I'm in the Aprilia camp I ride one it's a scooter, but a damn fine one
I heard about 20.5K, or within that general range. I have also heard a Panigale S is in the 23K range. How accurate is that for new showroom floor prices? Anyone know?

Nobody sells anything Ducati within a two hour range of where I live. Haven't been out that way recently, but I did have the privilege to sit on, and twist the throttle on a running arctic white Panigale. That shit was good!

Only other Ducati experiences I really have are riding my friend's 750 IE a bunch of times, and riding a dealership's 748 S on a test drive. All good bikes in their own ways, hard to go wrong with a Ducati :fact
You are paying the same price for the fully loaded HP4 maybe a grand or two more. But from what I read the BMW still has the Ducati beat.

#36 ·
If I were to get a commuter I would get a Speed Triple or Street Triple. Comfy standard bike ergos + the sound of the inline triple........drool

OP, Get whatever makes you happy!

#22 ·
For me, I wouldnt get a panigale to commute. If I had to have a ducati supersport, Id look at a clean 1198S which can be had for a bargain since the 1199 came out. Even a 1098. Ive seen clean, tastefully modded ones for sub $10k now with low miles.

#23 ·
thats why i mentioned the 848evo saw one go for 9k the other week at a local dealer! not panigale but thing is still amazing

just wanted to see what people opinions were trying to get as much info before making and decisions

#24 ·
Sweet :boob batman!

Get the new Bimmer S1KRR HP4 if you have the means. You could use the extra that the Ducati costs to trick that bish out. Only issue you would ever have is a possible seizure from looking at the front end..but who sees that when you are on the road anyways :fact

Good luck with your choices man :mrgreen:

#26 ·
Take this from a guy that has owned a few bikes...nothing beats a Gixxer as a commuter/beater bike. 1199 is hot and 848 cooks well too (I have ridden both in an aggressive manner). 1199 needs to get it's kinks worked out before they can re-attack BMW, 848's bottom end is weak. My S1RR cuts corners like glass but my hands go numb every 5 minutes from vibrations. Plus the seat is horrid too.

#42 ·
I prefer my r6 to my s1000rr on most days. The r6 handles better and therefore is more confidence inspiring. Sure, the s1k blows the r6 away at a launch, but its not like a 600 is really a slouch 0-60 either. I dont mind the seat on the s1k, but maybe thats because I have a 2012 and as I understand it the seat was changed. What year is yours? Also, I agree the vibrations are annoying but I only get them between 6-7000 rpm or so, so I just cruise outside that range.

When I got my s1krr I thought I had outgrown my r6 and it was time for more powa, and I wanted a taste of all the tech advancements the new bikes have. I thought Id sell my r6 eventually because I figured Id be so enamoured with the BMW that the r6 would be a dust collector... but the BMW made me appreciate what an awesome machine the r6 really is. Admittedly, I am not comparing a stock r6 to the BMW but just thought Id add my 2c.

Oh, and get the Aprilia RSV4 APRC if you are set on an Italian. Its a much nicer machine than the Duc

#27 ·
hmmm ima go look at the 1199 this thursday a local dealer has an all black one for sale if the numbers are good well see...im so excited!!

#28 ·
what is everyones thought about this guy?? friend just told me about this havnt heard a damn thing about the f3

#30 · (Edited)
Hell no man :thumbdown That F3 makes less HP out of a 675cc than our R6's and weighs more than our R6's!? That's a downgrade :eek5 128Hp at the crank and 419lbs PLus...it looks like a mini gsxr from the front with that mini-cyclops eye:throwup

#43 ·
I heard about 20.5K, or within that general range. I have also heard a Panigale S is in the 23K range. How accurate is that for new showroom floor prices? Anyone know?

Nobody sells anything Ducati within a two hour range of where I live. Haven't been out that way recently, but I did have the privilege to sit on, and twist the throttle on a running arctic white Panigale. That shit was good!

Only other Ducati experiences I really have are riding my friend's 750 IE a bunch of times, and riding a dealership's 748 S on a test drive. All good bikes in their own ways, hard to go wrong with a Ducati :fact

#44 ·
Some good comments here. If you're set on it, who cares about the money. YOLO for sure and enjoy life. Just get what you feel decently comfortable on and that you love to stare at man. Cheesy as it is, I stare at my bike a lot, and it NEVER get's old. Just love it too much and that's all that matters.

In the end they all do the same thing, but the Ducati's just do it a little sexier in stock form than most. Haha. The 6 will always be more nimble and probably more fun, but a second bike being a Ducati would be sick. The Panigale is way more comfortable than the 848 IMO, but they're both badass none the less.

Post up pics of what you get....stoked to see the pics! Cheers!:toocool:

#45 ·
To me the Panigale is the sexiest bike out right now. Do I want to own one? Yes. Would I commute on it? No way. I don't think I could give up my R6 for anything else right now. Bikes are getting so ugly! The 848 looks pretty good once some Termi's get thrown on there. Stock cans hang out too far IMO. I have no idea how the two Ducs perform, but I sold my 748 since I couldn't afford the maintenance at the time. Never regretted owning that bike for one second.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.