Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How Much Would A Valve Adjustment Go For?

18K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  kairojya 
#1 ·
My 04 has a lil' more than 23K miles on it. It runs great... the valves are chattering though. I know the manual calls for the valves to be adjusted at 26K miles and that is coming up for me. I ride this a lot so it'll be here before I know it especially because I am taking this on a 5 hour trip and back in two days.

So just curious if anyone has any previous experience with the cost of valve adjustment? Just wanna get 'em to stop ticking:D

#5 ·
noooo its like 2-3.5 hrs. so whatever the shop rate is times that. here its like 250 to have it done.. lol 800 wtf.. lol

#7 ·
not saying this to you directly so dont get mad.. ive heard alot of people on here that live in cali talk about that and to me i honestly think alot of it is people are to pussy to grow a pair and call a shop out on their bullshit. it just seems like everytime someone gets boned by a shop they get on here and bitch but u know they dont ever say anything to the shop. i dont get that.

#9 ·
they dont take any more knowledge than anything else. just a few extra tools is all. people just have it in their minds its some lost art only a dealership can do. which obviously isnt the truth. at any rate good luck with all that..

#11 ·
So you don't think it's too hard to do it? I just changed the plugs on it and I can get to them in about 15 minutes so it's not hard to get to the valves...

I'm not necessary gunna adjust them first. I just wanna check the clearances and write it down for all 4 cylinders and see how they are compared to how they should be. Not mess with anything... but just check first off.

Is that hard to just check? Don't wanna mess anything up and I do have the service manual. Thanks again

#12 ·
go for it. it will be a good learning experience. u got the manual. as long as u got all the tools u need u should be good. take your time and pictures if need be.

#13 ·
^ Definitely. Just alot yourself ample downtime for the bike.

I think when I get around to it I'll plan on dropping the motor so I can check a variety of things while I'm at it. I just got done over the last weekend pulling the motor out of my car to fix some leaks and shit if I can live through that then the bike should be a breeze.

And just a thing I learned the hard way, be very very careful when tightening down any bolts/fasteners. It's better to be patient then to strip out threads and have to retap and go through all that mess! Hand tighten everything as much as possible before you bust out the ratchets and torque wrenches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.