Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

paint gurus please look

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  alecseborp 
#1 ·
I just spray painted my rear tire hugger. I am waiting for the clear to fully cure, its been about 14-15 hrs since the last coat of clear was put on. I am pretty satisfied with how it turned out, especially with using spray paint. I am wondering what else should I do now to really make it shine? I know i have to use a rubbing compound, then I was thinking buff and wax. But how can I get the texture smooth?

#5 ·
You will probably never get it as thick as automotive clear coat. If its shiny enough for you just wait a few days and put a good wax on it. If not you can hand buff it to shine it a little but I would not put a buffer on it. Thats just me though, maybe someone else has a different opinion on it.

#7 ·
Your suppose to wait about 3-5 minutes between coats.This way the paint/clear wont run/sag, but the previous coat is still "wet" enough for the next coat to adhere.By now with so much time passed.You would need to sand(lightly) in order for the next coat to stick.Too thick though & the paint will crack from flexing/vibrations/stress, etc.Unless you use a flex agent like urathane.

#10 ·
Wet sand with at least 1000 grit.Keep the paper wet & dip it in clean water constantly.This will prevent the sandpaper from accumilating dust & debris.It will also keep the snadpapaper from scratching the surface your sanding.Dont sand it too long or use alot of pressure.You just want to roughen the surface a little so the clear will bite.Maybe 10-20 minutes sanding time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.