Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Track noob post

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  R-Silaxin 
#1 ·
So I'm really excited to hit the tracks this coming spring. I have away too many mods on my bike to fit my skill set though so I'm kinda worked about dumping it. Ive been riding for 2 years and i feel like i can handle the bike alright but street riding doesnt mean shit. Would you guys recommend tank sliders for the first day? Also do you all run insurance on your track bikes? I'm low on cash so I'm tryin to see what all is necessary (obviously I understand it's all good to have). I have the basic sliders and spools.

Also one of my friends tracks his CBR and he recommended taping off the tach so you can only see your power band and to always keep the RPM in that range. Good advice? Any other tips or tricks for a track noob? I've read countless threads on technique and all that shit.

Sorry for noob postin it up in here.

#3 ·
:wave

Welcome

Just getting into it myself... Been To a few TD's, and a race weekend. It's been a blast so far.

As for your questions, protecting The bike is ideal. I.E. Frame sliders(some use some dont), tank sliders, engine case covers, etc. At some point, you will go down... So protect the bike for longevity... Beginner group at any new track is ideal for you to learn The track at a slow pace... They Will bump you when THEY see fit. Also, insurance is your call. Not necessary for a track bike though. Save that money towards tires, trackdays, and seat time. Those three things are what you need most. Especially seat time!

:cheers

#4 ·
You definitely need to start in the beginner group. Trying to jump into intermediate your first time will just make you a liability to others and probably make you feel the need to go faster than you should be. You'll have to talk to your insurance company about coverage for track days but most will not cover you. As for an excessive amount of protection for your bike, don't bother. You are better off spending the money on gear for yourself.

#13 ·
Ok well that answered my starting question beginner for sure ha

What di you guys think about taping off the tach for the powerband? Honestly I thought it was kinda stupid cause I know where the band is. (plus I gave the rainbow power band so it's pretty much my entire rpm range)

#18 · (Edited)
You want beginners group you don't know the lines, you'll want the class. There is a lot to soak in. I'm inconsistent as ****, I'm also teddy bear braker btw so take it from me.

Get gear for yourself first good gear, make sure you have frame & swing arm sliders if you are running stock tires please replace them they suck! Some would disagree with me.

You wont need all the bells and whistles for level one.
But if you have the money for tank sliders, case covers, track body go for it. If not don't sweat it tape up the lights take off the mirrors & licence plate you're good to go.

You wont be tearing ass around the track fast enough to make a HUGE mistake. Unless you ride outside your comfort zone.

On the insurance front I'm sure someone has already said it depends on your company. Ive seen guys crash and get nothing, I've heard of some crash and get the full MSRP for the bike when it was new.

If you keep the street plastics on and bin it at the track you can always say it happened on a public road to collect cash. :laugh

i taped off my speedo for the first few track days so i wouldnt be so distracted with seeing how fast i was going.
Taping the speedo the move of the fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.