Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Hey Racers: What changes with a 190 rear?

3K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  aaronk277 
#1 ·
So for those of you who have made a swap to a 190, what suspension and gear changes did you do?

Looks like I'm going to a 190 for good this season due to tire choices. In the past when I tried it, I shortened the rear shock a few mm and added a tooth on the rear sprocket. But I didn't spend much time testing to see what worked.

What did you find worked best? Save me some practice time screwing around ... I need all the quality track time I can get to focus on my riding. :roll:

#4 · (Edited)
If you like the geometry you have been running already, measure the distance from the axle to the ground on your existing tires. Then do the same when the new ones are mounted.

In my case, I switched brands and to a 190. The front tire was 5mm taller, and the rear was 7mm. The 180 rear was 5mm. I ran the 180 and was fine, then the 190 with the extra 2mm height just made the bike turn sharper for me. Stability was still fine so it worked better for me.

If u do end up raising the front to match the rear, cause the extra ride height is really nice IMO, just keep an eye on how the bike transitions. If that's an issue, maybe lower the bike to get back to where u were. I've noticed that the bike wheelies WAY less on the launch with the higher ride height too!

Going up one tooth on the rear might over compensate for the 190 if it's not all that much taller.

Good luck to you! Changing tires is a huge process man.

#14 ·
Chief are you running 190 on your CZ wheels? Is the rear of yours 5.5 or 6"?

#16 ·
i run a 211GPa on mine. it's 7mm taller than my stock 180. so my axle is only 3.5mm taller higher than it used to be. it made it a TAD more difficult to turn in, but allows me to better "yank" on it. i'll probably get the geometry set up on it again here after while, but for now, it's just about right.

#29 ·
Not to thread jack but:
I'm going to be switching from the stock qualifiers to the 211's as well. I'd like to have a little more turn in so would raising the front solve this?

I wont have the new tires until the 28th just trying to get things set up close before hand so I'm not waisting more time at the track

Thanks

#28 ·
Good info here! :cheers

#31 ·
I'm running a 211gpa 190 on my bike and have a brand new set sitting in the basement. Last year I ran my forks flush in the top triple clamp. This year I'm dropping them down about 10mm from the top of the clamp to start. Most of the fast guys around here with r6's are dropping there forks down all the way in the top clamp. It really makes a difference especially on the 06-07 bikes. Or get fork extensions if you can find them.

#34 ·
Right now the forks are 10mm above the top of the triple clamp so I deff have some room to move them down. I going to have to take some measuremens from the axle bolts before the new tires go on to see the ride height difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.