Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Racers, need your advice

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Oregon R6 
#1 ·
For those of you that actually race (WERA, CMRA, WSMC, etc.), I could use a little advice on improving my bike for the track. I won't be racing anytime soon, but I'd like to do some things to my bike to make it better at the track but still street legal. It's basically stock right now. I do a few track days per year, pull decent lap times for a stock bike (hardly ever get passed by other stock bikes at the track) and will probably do a good school later this year.

When you went from a street legal to a race bike, what were some of the things you thought made the biggest difference? I know tires are an obvious answer; I may get a spare set of wheels w/ race tires later on. Some tips on unsprung weight reduction or other mods that improve handling would be great. I don't really care about improving engine power.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
a good set of adjustable rearsets and clipons to tailor your riding position to your style will really help. Alot of stock bikes start dragging toe sliders and footpegs first, and a set of rearsets will get rid of that problem and allow alot more lean angle. Also, making sure to have the bike sprung for your weight and a good track shim stack installed in the forks is a great help. If you can swing it, get a penske or ohlins rear shock. Those few things will transform your bike into an entirely different machine, and it will still be totally street legal.

#3 ·
Steel braided brake lines are HUGE!!! definately make this your first upgrade.

Race bodywork is cheap, street is expensive, buy race bodywork everyone crashes.

Suspension upgrades 2nd most important upgrade, atleast get your bike sprung for your weight and get the sag set.

I like stomp grip for the tank, really helps you lock in.

Those are some of the basics, once you get fast enough and clearance is a problem you will need rearsets, once you wear through a sprocket or need a new chain a 520 conversion isn't a bad idea (more sprockets available less sprung weight). Exhaust may be necessary if your bike is an 06+ because the Cat gets in the way of the bodywork and will burn right through. Slipper clutches are AMAZING if your bike doesn't have one, I love my brembo master cylinder, quick shifter, 1/8 turn throttle. If you have an 06+ and want the speedshifter you will need a PCIII with the ignition mod.

#4 ·
braided lines for the brakes, then some sbs HH pads, cheap change and will be fine on the road.
Aftermarket shock is a good idea, poss different fork springs, or even rebuilt, still fine on the road, and all this can be setup for you by the suspension guy at the track.
Spare wheels, with slicks on will give you the option to have road (ish) tyres on one set so its ok for day to day use, then bolt the slicks in for the track.
Warmers for the slicks are a good idea.
Rearsets are another good mod, as said before.
Lighter wheels will make a big difference, but can be expensive.

My race licence is british, does that count :lmao:lmao

#5 · (Edited)
I would say suspension and brakes. Race tires will help as well, but probably want to get a set of warmers to keep the heat cycles at a minimum. A double bubble can help, especially with the low stock windscreen - I was having a hard time getting enough of my head out of the 150mph wind, which lead to my head hsaking and headshake on the bike.

To be honest, if you get stock suspension set up for you, and work with someone at the track to dial in compression and rebound (put a zip tie on the front fork to see how much travel you are using), pay attn to how the bike feels (do bumps upset it, too firm, etc), today's bikes are more than capable on the track. Stock bikes are capable of handling more than 95% of the people out there can dish out.

Put a very good rider on a stock bike and he will smoke an average rider on a built bike. If you are on a limited budget, spend the $$ on track days and a race school. If you have extra $$ beyond that, buy the things folks are suggesting.

**Edit - Get a good back protector as well. Spend money on that before modding the bike**

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.