Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Regulator/electrical help

719 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jdmatara 
#1 ·
I've read a few posts about this and this seems to be a semi-common problem. I'm having the issue with my bike, FOR A SECOND TIME. I own an '03 R6, its my first bike but my second year on it. In the middle of september my check engine light came on, I had no clue what for so I kept riding. I lost all power to my gauges, headlights went off, then the bike died about a mile from my house.... I pushed it back.
I thought it was the battery so I replaced it, rode for 20 minutes only for it to die again and my friend told me it was most likely the regulator. He knew how to replace it so I got a regulator for $100 and paid him another $50 to put it in. He told me he had to rewire it since the wires going to it were melted.
All was well for a little over a month and while riding again the CEL went on, I couldn't believe it. Bike died on the highway and I had to get it towed back. Same exact shit. CEL -> gauges go off -> headlight goes out -> bike dies.

Why did the regulator go bad again?
and if it helps any, code 46 is displayed.
Thanks a lot for the help guys.
~Danny

#2 ·
Had the same problem with '03 R6. Same symptoms. It seemed to be a bad ground connection between the harness and the Reg/rect. Rather than buying a new regulator, I bypassed the ground connection with a clean butt connection outside of the OEM connector. Never had the problem since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.