Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Pretty sure it's a clutch issue?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dexter6 
#1 ·
Background, I'm on a '06 R6S, it has 40k miles on it, only major maintenance that has been done has been a valve adjustment. Rode it on a Thursday, it sat till Monday, got on it started it up and the speedo started jumping around to 8-9 mph. Thought it was strange but I was already late for work so I jump on put it in gear let go of the clutch (which the lever felt normal) and the speedo moves but the bike doesn't. No strange noise, no hint of pull. With the bike off and I put it in gear I can push it around like its in neutral? I've talked to a couple of mechanic friends of mine and they all say clutch. My thing, why didn't it start slipping? I rode it Thursday and it felt 100% fine. Not a hint of slipping or anything. Ready, set, go. What's going on?
:confused:

#2 ·
pull the cover off, remove the pressure plate, measure the fibers. If 2.85mm or less, they are done. It may have been slippin a little before, ya just didn't notice it. Be sure the lever has free play, but only other way to know is to measure the fibers, and the stack height.

#3 ·
Nope, I bet the sprocket nut fell off.... only way your going to get a speedo reading in nuetral and in gear. Tranny is spinning to give the speed reading.

#5 ·
I thought about that nut too, but I figured there would be more noise or rattling coming from there. I've heard of that before, that nut coming off. I hope that's all it is. Unfortunately I have to use my ride day Saturday to tear it down. Which means no ride. Any advice on how to keep that nut on there. I bent the washer last time I did it, after I torqued it to the service manual specs. Which is how it came so.. Lock tight? Heavier washer?

#7 ·
proper torque, and the stock washer folded over should do fine. it's when the sprocket nut isn't tight enough that it usually comes loose. i have never used locktite, but my sprockets are on and off quite a bit.. i would use a dab.

#6 ·
Loctite is your friend.....put a bunch of blue on it and you should not have that problem anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.