Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Helmets... Would Ya if You Didn't Have to ??

7K views 124 replies 78 participants last post by  Jon2xmanuel 
#1 ·
Some friends of ours made their usual pre back to school beach trip to Myrtle Beach and were talking about how many folks were stopping at the state line and taking off their helmets to ride on down to the beach.

Brought up a good discussion that if your state didn't have a helmet law, how many would still wear your helmet?

Not at all....out of town with speed limits over 25 mph ???

If you were riding down the strip with your helmet on and no one else was wearing one, would you feel like a dork ?

We know what the safe and logical answer is, but it is America, so what would you guys actually do ??

#2 ·

Brought up a good discussion that if your state didn't have a helmet law, how many would still wear your helmet?

Not at all....out of town with speed limits over 25 mph ???

If you were riding down the strip with your helmet on and no one else was wearing one, would you feel like a dork ?

We know what the safe and logical answer is, but it is America, so what would you guys actually do ??

Yes.

Always.

Yes.

WEAR A HELMET.

#4 · (Edited)
I live in Wisconsin where there is no law, and there needs to be. So many Harley riders die around here from not wearing a helmet. A husband and wife just left 2 kids behind after dying from head trauma when they crashed.

Ironically, tons of riders all showed up at a benefit for their children not wearing helmets.

People won't learn. I feel bad for their kids, but they were idiots and so is everyone else who doesn't wear at least a helmet when riding.

EDIT: 3 children

#6 ·
Helmet law was just repealed in Michigan this year, and I cant count how many news articles i read about injured motorcyclists..not wearing a helmet.

I don't give a shit what the law says, I will always wear a helmet. I dont think you look cool at all riding down the street with no lid on, it makes you look like a moron.

Feel like a dork? I'm on a mother fcukin motorcycle, I feel like a PIMP.

#7 ·
#9 ·
This is so fking stupid... Who survives after crashing without helmet? Your head smashes like a melon to the ground

Unless you don't want to live, wear a helmet.

#13 ·
My husband is a paramedic. His coworker went on a motorcycle v. car call. The deceased motorcyclist had a squishy head. Yes. Squishy.

:nono

#20 ·
I'll admit back in my squidly day's a friend and I rode to Myrtle and soon as we hit the border the helmets came off.The short time i had mine off I couldn't stand it wind in the eyes and bugs in the face,I really don't see how riders can deal with it.Hell I wear one riding a xr80.

#21 ·
I always wear a helmet, with or without the law.

#23 ·
No helmet law hear. I don't want to end up like Garey Busey though, so I always put a lid on.

#24 ·
We dont have a helmet law either here. Ive rode around the block with out one when I had only my old helmet that was huge on me. Since getting my new one, I always ride with a lid. Like said before, I dont know how people stand all the wind and bugs in their eyes....not to mention the crashing aspect....

#26 ·
always, regardless of anything, always will have one. My state requires it while you have your temps, and first year of having your license, and I will wear it every time past that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.