Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Goodbye R6. =\

2K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  CORNR6 
#1 ·
Looks like my bike is going to probably be totaled out. Was coming home from work yesterday afternoon and the chain popped. Did damage in the worst areas. Lucky it didn't stop the bike @ 70mph. Chain caught up in the front sprocket area. Punctured the lower motor casing. Leaked some oil. Starter is broken. Gear box mounts are snapped off. Tail section has a 5-6 inch crack. Rear tire hugger cracked almost in half. Chain guard broken. Obviously chain broken. Under tail 5-6 inch crack as well. Parts + Labor will probably exceed 60% of bike value. Insurance will pay off. Guess i'll have to start over. New R1 maybe? Sad to see the R6 go. Put a lot of time and money in it. :BS

#3 ·
That sucks but I could have ended much worse. Glad you didn't go do and get messed up.

#7 ·
This was the 520 set up yes. This was an RK chain also. Supposedly this chain has had this issue before. The chain had less than 1500 miles and was waxed properly. Yeah, I did get lucky. Would have been very ugly. Hard to always react like johnny on the spot. I'd rather not get another R6 and start over, but I will see. I love the R6 but I have had my eye on the R1. Love the crossplane crank.

#14 ·
This was the 520 set up yes. This was an RK chain also. Supposedly this chain has had this issue before. The chain had less than 1500 miles and was waxed properly. Yeah, I did get lucky. Would have been very ugly. Hard to always react like johnny on the spot. I'd rather not get another R6 and start over, but I will see. I love the R6 but I have had my eye on the R1. Love the crossplane crank.
I thought RK chains are pretty good? actually im pretty sure I had it on my 636

but bro your lucky it didnt take you down and that that shit didnt cut threw ur leg

#9 ·
Sorry to hear man. Glad you're ok...

#11 ·
nuts!!an 09?? same year as my baby..always thought it can happen , glad you rode it out, goodluck on the r1 ya the 09 and up r1 are bad,i checked them out the otheere day, looked big compared to the r6, but the r6 cant beat the r1 sound love that cross plank..

#13 ·
damn, any specific model your talking about for RK chain? scares the crap out of me....the damage that it could do to you... reminds me of the photo i saw how the chain that snapped went right through the rear swingarm.

#15 ·
Yeah. It's weird. I didn't think about how lucky I actually am. I realize the full extent because everyone who found out what happened was telling me "Man, i'm glad you're ok." I pray this doesn't happen again. I can't say RK is unreliable, I just got a bad chain. It happens.

#17 ·
quick swap all the aftermarket parts back to stock :p
Sucks when stuff happens but you're ok, and money for a new bike gives you money for all the ideas that burn in the back of our heads we can never afford :sing

#19 ·
Wow almost same thing that happened to my 05.
Coming from work going about 85 on the freeway the bike jerked hard as hell and just shut off. The chain broke off and was stuck in the front sprocket area.
All the oil came out so Im guessing the casing broke.

I just got the new front and back sprockets and a new chain and was on the bike for only a lil over a month

#21 ·
damn, im actually scared to get the conversion kit. I was going to buy one in a couple months so I would have it for the new season. Now Im really hesitant to do it. I would be absolutely heart broken if my bike was totaled..or even severely damaged. I love it more than a normal person should. Glad your ok, thanks for the story, definitely going to think over if the buy is worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.