Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Bike won't start...another one.

5K views 42 replies 6 participants last post by  topherchris 
#1 ·
Was running fine to ride over to tech and fill up, I pulled away and it started sounding louder and lower, sputtering a little bit. The bike stalled, restarted then did the same thing and stalled. It won't start now and is throwing a Code 46, it will crank all day though and very once in a while make an attempt to start. I've been searching and can't seem to find anything relevant. Quick replies are appreciated, I'm wasting track time.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#31 ·
Update: been working on my dirt bike since I know what's wrong with that. I pulled the fuel rail and injectors and all looks well. The gas did this funny bubble thin with I spilled it out of the fuel rail onto the ground, it looked like it was boiling but no bubbles...I've never seen this but I've also never dumped any amount of gas onto the ground. Bad gas maybe? I'm going to drain the tank tomorrow and refill to check. If its not that then it's got to be electrical (I think) because the fuel pump is outputting fuel (there was pressure in the line when I disconnected it) and it runs on starter fluid.

#33 ·
Went out and drained all the gas...it looked oily a little so I think bad gas maybe. I also picked up noid lights on the way home from the local parts store. I used the one that best fit the plug and tried it both ways with no light at all. I plugged it into the harness and attempted to crank it over. Only tried one plug (the left one) before I posted this because I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Any inputs? I'm about to go get good fuel and plug everything back up and hope that it solves the problem. I've already drained both sets of injectors, connections, fuel rails, and tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#36 ·
how long did this bike sit .. you discussed "bad gas" many times. Stuck fuel injectors will not improve with new gas, or any amount of seafoam or other gas treatments. If they are stuck, they are stuck, and can only be served off the machine. You do NOT need new injectors (that is what we do).
I was a bit confused by the post regarding pulse to the injectors. were you testing with a meter to determine if the injector harness was sending a signal to the injectors? or are you simply assuming since the injectors are not pulsing, it's a wiring/harness issue?

Have you tried another ecu?

#38 ·
And to answer the sit time question...it worked one day, then the next day following full up it didn't run. Another twist...I went in with a voltage light (the kind used to find grounds) and the light lot for every cylinder. I'm going to take the injectors to Lee's in the morning. When attempting to start it, it deff wants to start, it's almost there but won't quite start. It'll "run" as long as I'm cranking it but as soon as I let go it dies out.

#41 · (Edited)
Haha :( yes, I've been dragging my feet fixing it because its confusing the hell out of me and is demotivating and I was rebuilding a YZ250 tranny that I picked up....I just got it to idle but it sounds like it's got a mis-fire and if I give it throttle it does when it's coming back down to idle. Progress!!! I'm pretty excited about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.