Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Help new bike won't start

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  BlueDevil 
#1 ·
I know this is a Yamaha forum but I need your help. I just bought a '04 ZX636 today and at the dealer the bike started up fine every time and sounded great. The temp was about 45 degrees. The bike was 300 miles away so I had to pull it home on an open trailer, it was a 5 hour drive and at home it is about 30 degrees. So when I get home my friend ask if he could start the bike so I said yes. He started it up but he let the clutch out while the bike was still strapped down the stalled the engine. The bike tried to move but couldnt becuase it was strapped down. Now everytime I try to start the bike it makes a crazy clicking noise by the rear wheel and the speedo acts crazy. One time it read 143 mph when I pressed the starter button. When I turn the ignition it makes the clicking noise and even when I hit the turn signals. Does anyone know whats wrong?

#4 ·
does the starter motor crank or do you get the click sound only?

With the speedo issue, I think you have some sort of electrical problem. If I were you, I'd figure out how to get the display to show the FI diagnosic code, look for a service manual online and find out what the code means, then go from there.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm not sure how good with bikes you are, but... If the bike is not in Neutral, it wont start. If the bike lurched forward when he let go of the clutch, it must have been in some gear. Make sure that the bike's in neutral by turning the key to "on", and looking for the green light by the speedo. Make sure the kickstand is down, and that the emergancy shutoff switch is off. Then stry to start it. But, from my experience, 636's have a clicking sound when you start 'em anyway (them bitches got some nice top end pickup too.) Not sure what it is though.

#8 · (Edited)
If the green light isnt on... you're gonna have to pull the clutch lever in, push the gear lever down until it wont go to any lower gears, then pull the gear lever up 1/2 way, until the green neutral light comes on.--- Sorry if its barney style, and if you're not a noob, and im offending you. Just not sure how much you've played with bikes b4 this one. If u are a noob, and you have any questions, feel free to P.M. me.

#9 ·
Try a slight rocking motion to move the gears a bit when searching for neutral. It helps to relieve pressure on the gears. The clicking sound and odd reaction of the instrument panel is usually an indication of a dead battery. Get it on a charger and try again when it has had a chance to recharge. Might take a while to rejuvenate the battery. Especially in cold temperatures, that's when most batteries show their weaknesses.

#10 · (Edited)
if it was a suzuki, you have to hold the clutch in for the starter to work....but it aint and i dont have kawasaki experience.... but to be honest, it sounds like a flat battery or a bad electrical connection somewhere.

another thing it could be is the starter is jammed, you could check this by rocking the bike forwards and backwards while in gear which would possibly unjam it Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.