Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

FuelCel tank guards (06-09 R6) and tank baffling

9K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  vonstallin 
#1 ·
I wanted to post a few pics of the FuelCel tank guards I installed this past weekend. After a quick email to John at Fuelcel, the guards arrived after about 3 days unpainted and I shipped them out to MCProdesign for custom paint to match my tank and fairings. I also got the fuel baffling that installs inside the tank and aids in killing all the fuel slosh that occurs during abrupt braking and throttle and left-right transition that occurs on track. I have noticed a huge difference on track with these foam baffles installed. The chassis is more settled upon braking and entry.

These guards are a must for anyone who rides on the track. I installed the FuelCel tank guards and modified the side tank panels so the side tank bolts underneath are easily accessable at the track. The install went really well with the exception that 2 of the bolts provided in the kit were too short for mounting at the base of the tank. A quick trip to Home Depot and I had the right hardware for the guards. I'm honestly hoping the kevlar guards never get tested!!! I've heard (from those that have lowsided with the guards on) that the kevlar protected the tank from rupture and explosion.

The guards were 180 and the baffling was 38 bucks. Check out Fuelcel's website for more pics and information.

http://www.eti-fuelcel.com/r6g.html

sales@eti-fuelcel.com

See less See more
#2 ·
I cant remember for sure, but I think I remember hearing that the tank foam renders your low fuel warning system inoperable. Basically, the bike never thinks its out of gas....can we say walk of shame...:dunce:

#3 ·
You have to install the foam properly from the fuel pump side of the tank with the pump off... I tested the baffles over 2 days at Barber and my fuel light came on every time I was low. When installing the baffles, you must leave room for the fuel pump as the low fuel sensor is built into the bottom of the pump.

#4 ·
Okay, that sounds legit. I hadnt heard of this company. I do have the Weapon MX foam in my RM 125. It made a slightly noticeable difference there, but then I just add gas after every moto and I am not on the road or anything.

I might have to give this stuff a try in my 08

#7 ·
Im looking at ordering these.
Few questions.

I've heard that the foam cuts down the amount of gas you can hold allot (seems like I read 1 gallon less). Did you notice the same thing or just a small amount difference.

How do you install the foam in such a way that it will not interfere with the low fuel gauge? Wouldn't the foam move around or lower as gas gets low?

Last.
Looking at the picture on the site, once installed with the add on bolts, can you still take the tank off with ease? and in one piece or will you have to remove the tank sliders to gain access?

ps: first post....
new 2011 R6 owner as of 1 day ago.

Stomp grips still fit good?

Thanks in advance, hope these are not annoying questions.

#8 ·
if you're not battling for podiums in close quarters where a little slosh in gas is felt and seen in times, don't get the baffling.

as for the sliders, you'll need to take them off to get the tank off. they attach at the base where the side tank covers attach at the front of the seat. attaching at the front is no big deal.

http://www.aggracing.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=72

#10 ·
Perfect, just what i wanted to hear, but at the same time always wondered if it was someting that would make a huge difference.

Ill keep things the way it is.

I shouldn't have to go in the tank to often so I can use these for the protection.

Ill look for a set.

thx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.