Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Recovered motorcycle. Bad clutch?

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  MELK-MAN 
#1 ·
So I got my bike back, it was stolen! No issues or damage other than the clutch is bad. Tell me if this sounds about right.

Bike starts put it in gear and give it gas and it barely hardly moves. Looks like it had alot of but outs as back tire is much worse than I remember.

Sound like a bad clutch? What all exactly do I have to replace? I have never done anything on a motorcycle but have done alot on automobiles. After yaha quoted me 700$ to change clutch and watching 1 YouTube video that stuff looks stupid easy.

#2 ·
yea, if stolen.. burn outs are pretty common. Pull the cover off, pull the pressure plate, and measure the fibers. If at or less than 2.85mm thick, they are toast and the stack height will be too short. If close to 2.85mm or better. you can substitute a thicker metal to the outside of the stack to get the stack height close.

and ya know, it would REALLY help if ya noted the year/make of the r6...........

#3 ·
Really sorry it's an 05. I hope you know the make...

So your saying I shouldn't just throw another set of plates on there? As in you think there's something else wrong with it?

I remember before I sold it I thought the clutch was starting to slip at heavy accelerations and high Rpms.

Ill take it apart when I get off in the morning. If plates are ok what else could it be?

#4 ·
So I pulled the clutch. Wow easy! And found my problem..

About 5th fiber in was broken in 2 with 1/4 of it missing..

What does this mean? Obviously it's not in the clutch basket.. I'm changing oil and filter. Anything I should do since one broke up in there?

Disks look fine, (ill inspect) though some are a little blue.

What all do I need to repair this? Just fibers? Basket looks fine.

#5 ·
in rare instances i have had fibers break, but the pieces always stayed in place. if you have pieces missing, they must be down in the oil pan. i would consider dropping the oil pan. a fair sized piece could block the oil pickup screen. and ya really don't want that stuff getting in the trans gears or worse.
and yes. this is likely your slipping clutch issue.. ;) your manual will state the correct stack height and how to inspect the metals. It may be time to just get a new clutch pack like the EBC street racer clutch. comes with everything for less than oem. steels, fibers, and new clutch springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.