Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Bad Coil Packs

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  R6girl74 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having stumbling issues with my bike. I'm thinking its the coil packs. The bike does have the newer mitsu coils. My question is, is there any visual way to confirm the coil packs are bad ? Some sort of discoloration on them ?

All of my coils seem to have this spot of discoloration on them.

...do you guys think I should just go ahead and replace them ?

See less See more
#2 ·
not sure if i know the complete answer for you since i cant see the whole coil. however i just got mine replaced on my '03 (the year there was a recall on them) anyhow so you can see in the ATTACHED pics that there is a burn mark around the entire coil....also if you look closely you can see some damage foam where the current was arcing to the cylinder head!!!!! :eek5

i am going to do a complete write up sometime soon when i get the chance so people can see this, but hope this helps....let me know

Attachments

#5 ·
hmm well there is still a chance there is something wrong internally....if you are having 'stumbling' issues then you are probably misfiring in one or all the cylinders at some point, the most likely problems could be your spark plugs or your coils.....or BOTH i would just replace all of those and see where that gets you...

#6 ·
If you change the plugs make sure to check the gap, even if the guy in the store says there pregaped. Measure them yourself. I've gotten plugs and the guy in the store said there all good and when I got home the gap was way off. If the gap is not right the bike won't run right. Plus make sure the coil pak/ plug boot is all the way in and is seated right. Other than don't dunno.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.