Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Michelin Power Race Tires

6K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  fyrefyter0143 
#1 ·
I have used DCIII's in the past when the bike was used on the street and track, but now its a track bike only. Also, my lap times and skill level have come up a lot and i have been running in the intermediate group so i feel like im ready to bump up to DOT race rubber. Im going to be using tire warmers, but other than that... anyone have any advice for using these tires? What compound combinations to run?

#7 ·
As of now, i have a medium soft front, and a medium soft rear on their way (both the dual compound). The track day is in october and the temperatures will be lower (40's maybe), should i use a soft front instead of medium soft?

Also... tire pressure recommendations? And is there a way to scuff them in before i get to the track? Or how many laps will i have to take it easy on them?

#9 ·
Ok, i have on hand a medium soft front tire and a PRC front tire. And wow they are incredibly different. First of all, the profile is SOOOOO drastically different that Its hard to believe they are the same class of tire. Second, the PRC is soft to the touch... much softer than the Medium Soft. The interior construction of the tire is also completely different. Should i use the PRC or the Medium Soft? I have a track day in october and a 2-day in november... Should I just "use up" the medium soft in october and then save the PRC for november?

#12 ·
The PRC looks so drastically different... By the looks of the tire, it seems like the bike would seriously "fall" into a turn, its such a steep angle on the sidewall...

Who has used these? Whats turn in and stability like? Can you compare to the non triangulated Power race fronts?

#15 ·
Haven't had the chance to take the pics... but FYI... the PRC is now discontinued. Talked to a guy from michelin the other day...

this whole PRC thing is confusing because there is so little information on it. Some of the customer care people at michelin say that the tire never existed, where clearly it does... i have one in front of me...

But some people swear by them, other people have low sided with them... Not sure if i want to bite the bullet and risk a low side...

#17 ·
would it be retarded to use pilot power race medium compound on the street???

#19 ·
You won't be able to ride agressive enough on the street to keep heat in the tires to get the full benefit of the grip they offer. Also with the soft compound of race tires you will be lucky to get 2k miles out of them before your looking for a new set of tires.

#18 ·
Probably not the best idea. They will take longer to heat up as opposed to a more street oriented tire, and they wont hold as many heat cycles. But i could be wrong. But it has always been my understanding that any DOT race tire is meant for the track and has been constructed to be just that... a track tire. But once agian... i could be wrong.

#20 ·
My friend is using the prc on his bike now and has had good results with it. It is ridiculously steep side wall. It is nearly vertical. you could probably lay the bike on the ground and still have sidewall left on the tire to run with. The tires get up to temp pretty quick for a race tire. Life is decent for a race tire. 2-4 days at A class pace. My friend has always ran the 2ct's so he didn't really notice a big difference in turn in. He said it felt normal to him. I'm not a fan of the triangle tires and prefer the more nuetral designs. In all not a bad tire design. He will be switching to wera legal dot race tires after this set is toast. I would suggest the same to anyone who plans on racing in club level racing. You don't want to get spoiled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.