Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

New Tires! Michelin Power Race

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  fyrefyter0143 
#1 ·
Just got a new set of tires. They are the Michelin Power Race 180/55/17 Rear Medium Compound and 120/70/17 Front Soft. Has anyone else had any experience with these tires? I have used them once on the way home for the shop, but i am saving them for a track day in june at streets of willow. Previously i had Pirelli Diablo Rosso which i liked but wanted something a little stickier for my 2nd track day. Any info on the michelin's would be appreciated...

#2 ·
Get ready to hold on to your butt. They will stick like nothing you can possibly imagine.

I have only used the medium compound before, I can only imagine how nice the soft would be. On the other hand though, the stickier soft will require even more precise suspension setup and it will be used up a little quicker.

#4 · (Edited)
From April thread: http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82658

More Current review of the tires:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/29...ne-Review.aspx

Personal experience:
I've gotten to use the new Power 1 tires for 4 trackdays and a race weekend.

I used the Michelin slicks last year, but as usual in the spring when it is cold and the track temps are low I switch to DOTs (usually Pirellis) These have an amazing amount of grip. Off the first set I got 2 days of an advanced racing school, half of a track day and half a practice day. Both tracks were predominately right hand turns. So I flipped them, got another full track day out and half of a practice day of them. At the end of the practice sessions, I was just starting to spin up the rear coming out of a couple of the turns. The front felt great right up I decided to change the tires out.

2nd hand:
I heard from another guy that was using them that he got up to 80 laps out of them before he started to spin up the rear. He did feel the front start to slide at that point, but it was more predictable in the slide and how it came back to him. Unlike previous version of the tire. I'd take his word on the tires, as he is a vendor for these, as well as, Pirellis and Brigdestones and a wicked fast racer who has been riding since the beginning of time. (not really )

I'm liking these so much that I'm not going to go back to slicks this season, I've decided to stick with these.

Since then I've gone through only one more sets... I still love them and can't say enough good things about them. They not only grip they last longer then the Michelin slicks I used last year. I'm getting 3 almost 4 days of hard use out of the Power Ones. The slicks were done after 2 days, on my home track. It tends to chew up tires, all brands just get shredded after a few races.

Just got a new set of tires. They are the Michelin Power Race 180/55/17 Rear Medium Compound and 120/70/17 Front Soft. Has anyone else had any experience with these tires? I have used them once on the way home for the shop, but i am saving them for a track day in june at streets of willow. Previously i had Pirelli Diablo Rosso which i liked but wanted something a little stickier for my 2nd track day. Any info on the michelin's would be appreciated...

You will like these better then the Pirelli's...

#5 ·
I love them, they stick like no other day and they stick cold weather too!
i set my tires at 30 psi front and 24 psi rear.
unfortunately they don't last very long in hot weather, you can chew a set of soft compound tires in a full track day:rant

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.