Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Dropped my bike for the first time

5K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  Thecca 
#1 ·
Went for a quick ride today before putting it away for the winter and I was on my way back home. Less than a mile away and I dropped my bike. Minimal damage, but my issue was not being able to lift it back up on my own.

Is that something I should really consider a long-term problem with owning a bike? Obviously I don't intend on dropping/dumping my bike, but I am realistic and know it will happen as I build up my experience.

It's a 2002 R6, for reference. I'm 5'5"ish and considered myself to have some strength and muscle, but that was certainly tested today.

#2 ·
Frame Sliders. Google how to properly lift the bike back up before you hurt yourself. A guy tried to save his bike from falling and ended up with some brain injury.

Jamaal on here was trying to save his bike and ended up getting stuck under it. :laugh

And I had some cilantro for the first time.

#3 ·
There is a technique some ppl use to pick it up. I wouldn't worry about it tho. Usually if you wreck there is at least 1 person who stops that can help

#4 ·
Sqaut down ass or back to the seat one hand on the lower handle bar, other hand on passenger peg or tail than lift with your legs.

#5 ·
I don't know that I would be able to pick up my bike alone. But I really don't worry about it. I figure since I rarely ride alone and never ride alone in the twisties (where there would be very little traffic and no cell service) I will always have someone at least a phone call away that could help out. :cheers

#6 ·
At the IMS motorcycle show, I've seen them teach women much shorter than you the correct way to pick up a large cruiser, using the method described above.
The women seemed amazed at what they had done. :)

#8 · (Edited)
if you have sliders you could have friend help you lower the bike onto its side gently, making sure it doesnt eat any plastic bits and then try picking it back up :popcorn: just an idea, could even be a terrible idea... im not going to try it.

#12 ·
I've watched all the videos and still can't lift up the bike on my own. I should attend one of the IMS presentations to see it done. Of course, lifting a giant cruiser which is only half-over because it's resting on it's floor boards is different than lifting a sportbike which is on it's side.

I've ridden for 3 years now and never could pick up my bike if it fell. Only time it was an issue was when I dropped it in the driveway while I was home alone. Left my pride at home and went next door to my neighbor's for help.

#16 ·
My MSF instructor told me once he was riding along on the back roads and saw a girl with her goldwing down. He parked and was going to walk over to help her lift it. Before he got there, she already had it up by herself and rode off already. He said he stood there in shock for the longest time. :laugh

#20 ·
It's a 2002 R6, for reference. I'm 5'5"ish and considered myself to have some strength and muscle, but that was certainly tested today.
Do as gundam said ... it seems to be the technique everyone recommends, basically a squat.

Other thing you have to realize is that if you drop your bike, collect your thoughts! First time I ever dropped a bike, I couldn't budge the thing - mainly because I was freaking out. My buddy came over and just picked it right up for me.

Looking back, I realized I was just too focused on the fact that my bike was laying on its side to actually stop and give it any real effort or thought in picking it up.

At Adirondack Nationals in Lake George a couple years ago, I saw a shorter girl get on her FZ8 and it was on a slight hill, so she lost her footing and the bike fell on her. I ran over to help her, but since it was all car-crazy people there, nobody else seemed to care about the motorcyclist on the ground. :thumbdownI picked the bike up for her and besides a sore ankle (and her pride), she was on her way.

I think there will always be *someone* around to help you out, so you shouldn't worry about it .

#21 ·
Yeah, I was freaking out a bit and called my husband crying. I don't think he has ever jumped in the truck and driven so quick!

But that might be a good thought - I was more worried about my bike that I wasn't even thinking about the best way to even try to lift it. In the future, I think my chances of getting help from someone driving by is likely and next year, my husband's bike should be fixed so he will be out with me more too.

#22 ·
Guess i never had a problem...but i just lift by the tank. Centered balance and she comes up.

Though, I do work out ;)

#26 ·
Back/butt to seat and squat.

First time I dropped my bike, I couldn't figure out what to do. Finally did it the wrong way, found out when my back started killing me the next day. Prior vids are good recommendations.

Were you selling a gutted SHO shell not too long ago?
Yes I was. Decided to keep it and finish the project. Putting together a new motor for it right now.

#25 ·
Squat FTW :)

I saw a little lady (prob 5'5'' 120lbs...) last summer that lifted a big fatboy with this technique, so trust me, you can lift a tiny R6 ;)

#37 ·
A 100 pound women can lift a 700lbs Harley Davidson easily if she knows the proper technique :fact ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.