Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Dies when leaning right

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  m3lover1 
#1 ·
03 track only bike.All of a sudden the bike wants to just shut off on tight (peg dragging tight) right hand turns. Never happens to the left. typically refires if I stand it up, but the guy behind me isn't a big fan of me doing that just as we WOULD be on the throttle! changed the tip over relay, no difference. Could someone tell me how the fuel pump pick up is layed out in the tank? Anyone have any other ideas? feels like a fuel issue, as it doesnt backfire when it restarts.

#6 ·
Nah, just totally forgot I posted one before ! Lol. But, I'm getting about the same amount of help this time too. I guess if I wanted helpwith an undertail, clear LEDs or a PowerCommander map then there would be lots of help. Unfortunately for the typical sportbike rider today, everything is about a USB connection. I'm of the generation of rejetting carbs and adjusting the float level for low speed mixture.
Does anyone have an actual picture of the fuel pump out? I'm thinking if the pickup is on the left I could literally have something floating in the tank that blocks pickup when leaned right. I will pull the pump this weekend

#7 ·
Don't start making assumptions about people on here, especially when we're about to help you out.. The garage/mech. section doesn't get a lot of the mainstream traffic, so it's easy to get overlooked here.

That being said, I have a few pictures of a 3rd gen fuel pump... but it's probably a little different than yours. I don't think that's the issue though, since when you're leaned over (and not crashing) the angular acceleration pushes the fuel (and your body) OUT, sot he bike 'thinks' that it's still mostly straight up and down. When you crash you lose that angular acceleration and you're sliding on your ass-- then the bike knows it's on its side.

This is the same concept behind why gyroscopic cameras aren't as easy to rig up and people think. ;)

#8 ·
Absolutely no offense meant toward members here! I was referring to the nature of motorcycle and the fact that the backyard mechanic is Limited to bolt ons. Please accept my apology if anyone took offense.
As far as the pump, if the pickup was on the right side and the fuel pushed away to the left in cornering, I could starve it, or if something is floating in tank it could push up against it? It first seemed to not happen if tank was completely topped off but two weeks at VIR North it did it 3 laps in late in the afternoon with a full tank so I parked it and my
1198. It can be some scary crap. On a track I know I'm typically pushing the front going in then if I'm really on, sliding the rear off the corner, and the only way to balance the bike is to have either throttle or brake input and coasting midcorner makes the bike want to fall in! Add to this the guy on my tail that turns the screw on behind me and then I shut it off, makes for an interesting conversation in the paddock. Never to the left, only the right. Checked all electrical connections and even the kill switch. Did a running wiggle test on all connectors.

#9 ·
It's definitely something I've never heard of before... Honestly I don't think it's the fuel in the tank though. As I said, when you're going through a corner leaned over you have enough angular acceleration to keep the bike from tipping over (obviously) so you also have enough angular acceleration to keep your body on the bike and the gas in the (mostly) bottom of the tank. I'm perplexed as you are, but I can't imagine that lack of fuel (from the tank) is the culprit. Maybe the fuel pump doesn't have the balls to keep pressure when there is that much force on it?

#10 ·
That's a thought, but I typically wring it out thru all the gears and it's never stumbled except occasional tipped hard right. I once had a big tandem axle truck that every so often would die for no reason. When I'd try to find a problem I ran fine. To make a long story short someone when adding fuel treatment let the little foil seal from the bottom fall in and it would occasional get sucked up on the pickup tube. Looked in the tank with a flashlight and just luckily caught the reflection.
Will start by pulling fuel pump and inspecting pump and tank. Will also inspect entire harness for pinching. This bike has been wrecked a bunch, 3 times this year alone ;), and who knows what might have happened

#13 ·
THat is very weird...:popcorn:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.