Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

leaning leaning leaning

2K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Monster 
#1 ·
What is the necessary conditions to get lower and lower?

Is there a certain angle that must be needed? Such as a U-turn? or very close to a u turn?

Because I keep trying to get lower and lower, but I think it might be the angle of the turns that is not allowing me to lean more.

Or is it my speed? should I try the same turns at higher speeds?:screwy

#2 ·
Go to NJMP, learn how to ride on the track... Plenty of guys out there willing to teach you...

#6 ·
the goal is to not get as low as possible fyi lol but going to the track is the best thing you can do to learn how to PROPERLY lean correctly

#7 ·
Do it in a parking lot and no you don't need more speed. You need to learn proper body position before you try all this

#9 ·
One of the most important topics for leaning up to the limits and carrying as much speed as possible IS THROTLE CONTROL.

You will see novice people falling down at low speeds and much less lean angle than experts. Throttle control!

Incorrect throttle control leads improper suspension loads when cornering (front / rear), and grip goes away much sooner.

Of course other factors should be taken into account as well, body positioning, counter steering, choose the right path, reference points, etc.

If you wanna lean up to the limits and enjoy tour tires and speed as maximum as possible, get some professional training and save yourself crashes, money, and eventually getting hurt.

#11 ·
Go to the track and get instruction from the control riders as mentioned above. U will hurt yourself or kill yourself trying otherwise
If you are in the nj vicinity go to the track with absolute cycle or nesba

Sent from my ADR6300 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
It all comes down to two things: body positioning and throttle control.

As some posters have already said, your aim is to LESSEN the lean angle of the bike at any given speed. How do you do this? With body positioning. By bringing your center of gravity over and down into the turn, you can corner just as fast as a neutrally-positioned rider who is leaning his machine over significantly more than you are. Guess who runs out of tire first?

But before you can do things like that, you need to master the basics. Are you sure you are even positioned properly when upright and centered? Many riders put too much weight on the front or rear end or grip the bars too tightly. You need to develop a fluid, relaxed, centered body position before you are ready to do any sort of proper cornering.

The next step is throttle control. The throttle is your best friend. Until you can get along with the throttle, you're a sitting duck as far as mid-corner crashes go. Riding a sportbike is all about fluidity, finesse, and control, not balls-to-the-wall lean angles and wide-open throttle.

#13 ·
When is it gonna be warm enough to take a ride? Let me know and I'll take you out up by me and we can work on your riding. I ain't gonna take you anywhere to get your knee down or anything in this weather and shitty conditions, but I'll get you on some sweepers so you can settle into a turn for a change and work on correct body position, etc.

I need a ride BADLY and I've got at least 6 gallons of race gas to burn. Lemme know.

#14 ·
OP - what is your goal? If you just want to get the bike leaned over a lot and look cool, just go through the same turn at a higher speed.

Lean angle is just a function of the radius of the turn, and the speed your going through it (center of gravity changes it a bit, but you don't have a huge amount of control over that).

Be warned, if that's your goal, you're probably going to crash sooner than later, and it's going to suck.

A better goal is to learn how to be a better rider and focus on throttle control, smooth braking, turn-in points, counter steering and body position. Gain confidence, be smooth, and your speed will pick-up, and then you'll be leaning the bike over more, comfortably, without giving it much thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.