Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How to prevent the 2nd gear from going bad?

6K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  MELK-MAN 
#1 ·
Ok so I am new to this forum..... Just signed up tonight. And I know you all are tired of hearing about the 2nd gear curse on the 99-02 r6's and r1's, but I have been doing some research and havent found a solid answer on how to prevent the 2nd gear from going bad. I have owned a 99 R6 and I now have a 2002 r6. And luckily out of the 6 months I owned the 99 I had no problems with the 2nd gear.... And now I have a 02 that runs awesome!! And I want to keep it that way. So are there any idea's as to preventing the 2nd gear from going bad... Or is it just something that is not a matter of if it is going to happen.... just a matter of when?

#2 ·
How many miles on it? I've changed my whole tranny to one from a 05', drops right in. Some get lucky and it doesn't happen to them, but most I've read about and seen personally have it eventually fail.

When they went FI in 03' they also fixed the issue by switching to 5 dogs instead of 3, and if you look at them close enough they are slightly back cut so when you nail the gas, they tend to want to pull together rather than slip apart.

#3 ·
It has 28,000 on it. Some told me just do not clutch it up in 2nd gear... Or shift from 2nd to nuetral..... Which I don't know why that would make a difference, and also just don't dog it out in 2nd gear. I mean if I do all of this will it delay the inevitable? And how hard is it to swap the tranny? I heard the tranny and engine are one whole unit?

#11 ·
;) come on now.. don't be pulling my local homie's leg.. LOL

pretty sure i saw your post on TSB too. As many indicated, it will happen or it won't. Keep good oil in there, (rotella blue jug or silkolene pro4 synthetic) and take care to make good shifts.
IF you ever have a problem, hit my mechanic and fuel injector business partner, Jim Scala up in New Port Richey. He could do an r6 motor with his eyes closed at this point he has done so many for me over the last 9 years..
very reasonable prices, not dealer rates. give me a call if you ever have questions.

As some mentioned, you could get a used trans if needed, but if you had the bike apart "IF" (lets not jinx it) the 2nd gear goes.. i would just buy a new 2nd gear and shift fork as that is likely the only gear to show damage. That happened on my 2000F4 honda my AM racing season, but i was downshifting some gears without a clutch (i don't do that anymore..LOL)
Some drag racers, and some model roadrace bikes get the gears undercut at Falicon in Clearwater, FL, but that is big money and simply not needed on an r6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.