Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Rear wheel binding after tire change

6K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Fallis 
#1 ·
Got some new rubber mounted today and it's the first time I've taken the wheels off a bike since the first tire change on my first bike back in oh... 2002. (ugh. I'm old.)

Finally got everything back together and the rear wheel isn't quite spinning freely in neutral. I can turn it by hand, but it's definitely binding slightly compared to how it usual is.

I couldn't get the larger bolt on the rear caliper to thread all the way in, so I'm guessing it's somehow related to that, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out what the issue is. Anybody got any ideas?

#2 ·
There's a little tooth on the rear caliper bracket that fits into a notch in the swingarm. If it's not in there perfectly the caliper won't be in line/parallel with the rear brake rotor causing the pads to drag. Take some good pics of the rear caliper and both sides of your axel nuts and lets take a look. Did you pry the rear pads open before sliding everything back into place?

-Jamie M.

#3 ·
Yeah, I took everything apart and put it back together. I'm aware of the slotted bit that slides onto the swing arm. I found if I tighten the axle nut enough to stop the caliper bracket from rattling, it starts to bind up. Mind you, it's not completely jammed, I can still turn the wheel by hand, but it doesn't freewheel at all. It's definitely stiffer than it usual is when I'm cleaning the chain. I'll have a go at lining up the stupid bracket again and post pictures if I can't get it sorted.

Thanks.

#5 ·
Yeah, the shop duct-taped that collar into place so it didn't get lost. It's definitely in there.

I think it was a combination of not quite having the brake caliper bracket seated right, and just over tightening the axle nut. I was using the "socket" from the tool kit, so there was a little bit of guess & check involved on the torque.

#6 ·
So you fixed it? I took off my wheels for the first time back in july and taking them off are easy. The hard part was putting the rear wheel back on. Yea it's quite possible you over tightened the rear axle nut. I would highly suggest buying a decent torque wrench.

#7 ·
Chain tension could be the issue. Some of those CLOWNS at the shop don't know how loose a sportbikes chain needs to be. The movement in the swing arm on our bikes requires quite a bit of slack in the chain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.