Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

FEELER: 2001 R6 "Special edition" w/ 13K

3K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  paan009 
#1 · (Edited)
I picked up a near mint 2001 R6 "Champion's Edition" w/13K miles and a CLEAN/CLEAR WI Title in my name this past July. It has a FULL Yoshimura RS3 exhaust system, carbs are jetted(MJ 147's)I think, F Dunlop/ R new Continental, color matched aftermarket undertail w/ built in blinkers. Back story is the bike was supposedly running last season and the kid took it for a short ride. He went a couple of miles down a strip and turned around to ride back. After a short distance the bike lost power and died. He told me he charged the battery and tried to start it the next morning. Next, he pulled the carbs and took them to a shop to have them cleaned/inspected. They told him the carbs were fine. His solution was to park it & purchase a brand new 2012 R1!
I ended up buying the bike and boxes of parts he removed just as it has sat for close to a year. My main concern was the wiring I found. Harness was spliced @ the rectifier/plugged in. I've since found out on the Forum this is a common fix to a common problem. Also bought a brand new battery, relay switch, swapped the rectifier with a used(good) one, thoroughly cleaned the carbs(filthy), New fuel filter, fresh gas, and checked for fuel and spark, which it has plenty of both! Got the bike buttoned up and realized the PROBLEM is it won't fire. It turns over like crazy, but does NOT start. The only thing I can think of is a compression issue(cylinder head) or valves are WAY out of adjustment. Looked to buy a motor/ or cylinder head, but too much $ and most had issues when I was contacted. I'm either going to sell it as is or part out. The only issue is I have 2 bikes I'm currently parting out right now. Unless I get a good offer, I'll park it until spring and look @ my option. Last 2001 R6 non-SE/non-runner I watched on eBay went for $1900. Hoping to get near to that amount. PM for anymore details. Not really interested in trades/shipping, too much of a hassle. Call it a pick-up sale LOCATED in WI but can deliver in the NW suburbs of Chicago. MAKE SURE to put R6 in the subject title. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Ill buy that undertail!!!!! I love the bike bud. Best bet i would think is you would get more money parting it out and you would have more interested people. But GLWS and let me know if youll part it out :)

#6 ·
THANKS_That's what I'm being told. I have it narrowed down to possible bent valves, so I might just swapped the head. I will keep you in mind though. I'm currently parting an 06 ZX10 & 08 ZZR600, so I don't want another in the mix right now!

#10 ·
Your killing me! I'd have to move the Bodykit or Rolling Chassis to start a break down 1st.
Rather sell outright or fix over winter. Might just be that the valves are WAY out of adjustment. Just don't know the history on this bike... I'll keep you posted though!

#12 ·
Looks like a break-down for parts. Sale PENDING on the bodykit/tank, rear rim, and front fairing stay. BBUDEBSIEK- I purposely saved the undertail for you! Let's make a deal...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.