Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

New '07 R6, my first bike ;D

6K views 108 replies 34 participants last post by  S3aturnR 
#1 ·
Hey to everyone reading,
My name is Jozey, I'm 19, i moved to Portland from Australia about 6 months ago..
Last week i passed my motorcycle BRT(basic rider training) course with Team Oregon and today i bought my first road bike, a Yamaha YZF-R6.
The bike is super dooper clean with only 3,300 miles on the clock and i payed $5,600 for it. I'll try and upload photos from my phone here but i'm not sure if it'll work,
Like i've already said, twice. This is my first bike and i was really anxious to buy it since i've read over and over and over(and over) again that the r6's(or similar) are far too silly fast and crazy for a first learner's bike.
I rode it slowly around the streets near my house after i got it and i was surprised as to how smooth it felt.
i didn't buy this bike because i thought it looked the best, i bought it because the way i see it is if i buy a gutless bike that is small then i will get far less attention from drivers than this bright red, big, loud and fast bike so that was a +. sure, there are many good unique things about each and every other bike out there on the market, there's no doubt that a less powerful bike is usually easier to control in most situations, but i know what to do with power when it's given to me and for a beginner i know how to treat a bike like this.
:toocool:
i'm loving it, and sure, i might be dead in a week but i'll try to make sure i don't die on this bike :)

See less See more
#15 ·
I started riding on my R6. I went from never sitting on a motorcycle before, to riding 1500 miles a week for work the day after I completed BRC and never looked back.

Hardest part about riding in my opinion is self control. Just know your limits and have a good time riding.

#20 ·
You're right there buddy, i'll try to stay away from those limits.
The guy i bought the bike off of said it was his first bike too and that he loved it, but just didn't have to time to ride it anymore. I'm gonna buy a bike for my Dad then my brother might join us too haha it should be loads of fun

#24 ·
:wave

#26 ·
but i know what to do with power when it's given to me and for a beginner i know how to treat a bike like this.
no. no, you don't. just by saying that, you've proven to me that you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into.

be careful

the r6 is a great bike... for the track. it ranks as probably the #1 worst bike possible for a beginner and the #1 worst street-only bike. imagine if you took a basic flying course and then someone handed you the keys to an f-16 and said, "you'll be ok, just don't use full-throttle and respect the power".

get some proper "hands-on" instruction from an experienced rider at a track day or track day school and you may be ok.

good luck...

s3aturnr

#28 ·
if i can fly a 3000hp helicopter then i think i can learn to ride an r6...
what i meant by 'i know what to do with power when it's given to me...' is that i know there is power in the bike and i'm not going to use it. i have had the bike for 3 days and haven't gone past 3000rpms in second gear. i haven't even got my license yet so i've just riden it around the car park a few times. i'll definetly get more training on it and i bet you i'll do okay... :)

#36 ·
i was trying to put it into perspective incase you misunderstood. It is much harder learning to fly a helicopter than it is to learn to ride a bike therefore the two should not be be compared and i am not a cocky pilot, i haven't shown any signs of being cocky here at all, i think.

Maybe read this thread over again if you must because i've been saying 'i'll wear my gear no matter what' and 'i'm a very safe mo***a' over and over again. i didn't start this thread to tune into each and every reaction you guys may have. I made this thread because i thought you guys might have some new tips about riding that i haven't already heard. But nope, nothing new. I guess i'm really ready to ride this bike then huh?

#52 ·
Op, as a guy who started on an r6, these guys know what they're talking about. Also, take heed: "riding a slow bike fast is much more fun than riding a fast bike slow." I can attest to this. I still can't ride my 6 like a lot of these guys on the forum who have started on smaller machines.

Another thing to consider is, smaller bikes, like the ninjette and the cb250 hold their resale value very well. Some guys have a 250 and a 6, and choose the 250 often over the 6.

If you can swing it, splurge on a 250 and have both.

If not, gear up, be safe, and have fun!

tl;dr:

1) most ppl in this forum are right, 600 is crappy starter.
2) if I could do it again, I'd start smaller.
3) a lot of people choose smaller over bigger quite often.

#54 ·
Have you ever heard of a book/movie named 'a twist of the wrist'?

I watched it last night and it seemed these two guys had no problems starting on an '08 r6 and a cbr1000rr.. and i learnt a heap of other stuff from watching
it. as if none of you have suggested anything like that to me but you're all just telling me to wear gear and get a smaller bike..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.