Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Got hit last night.....Went down

9K views 119 replies 41 participants last post by  KiLlJ0y 
#1 ·
Well last night as I was on my way home from work I got hit. It was about 5:30 so Traffic was completely stopped In all 5 lanes of the 5 North bound. I was splitting lanes between the car pool lane and the lefthand most lane. For those unfamiliar with Cali the line set up is one white line and 4 yellow lines between the carpool lane and the rest of traffic. | C ||| || LL |

I was riding about 15 mph. A guy in the carpool lane saw an opening in the left lane of traffic and decided to make an illegal turn over the 4 yellow lines and the white line without looking or even putting on a turn signal. . So he cut his wheel and floored it as I was rigggggght next to him. :dunce:

So he clipped my left rear with his right front bumper. The bike and I went down on the right side and went for a slide. Thank god for the slow traffic and the gap he was trying to get into. I hit the ground with my right shoulder and proceeded to slide about 20 yards, The bike slid a good ways past me before hitting another car. The first part was on my pack and then I rolled a few times. Once I got up, I felt over myself. My right shoulder was killing me but nothing else felt too terrible. I hobbled over and picked up the 6 and got it on the kickstand. Gave it a look over. Slliders did their job great. All my plastics except my upper tail looked fine. Gas tank paint got fubar too but it ended up much better then I would have thought.

Then I wandered over to find out who hit me. I told him to follow me to the shoulder and to clear traffic. I got the bike started and rode it to the side of the road. It felt ok.. Maybe a clip on got bent. Didnt get a good look. At this point my shoulder was killing me and I couldnt move my arm. Guy gets out and asks me if I can ride home or if He could call someone for me. I was like yea the ****ing cops.

Fire dept came. Helped me get all my gear off. (PITA) Nothing other then my shoulder and a scraped knee. Cop gets there and asks me to explain the situation. Ambulance comes and off to the hospital I went. Bike got towed to god knows where. Xrays revealed I shattered my right Clavical.

Could have been much worse. I was wearing all my gear + lots of warming layers. Got a good size hole im my jacket and layers plus my knee. Whatever. Helmet did great, didnt crack but lots of scraping. Im just glad im ok for the most part, and that the bike is only cosmetics. Ill update this with pictures when I find the bike.

See less See more
#34 ·
time to collect for your damages and emotional distress! You can't even take a piss without fear of a car bumper shattering your shoulder like a gram cracker. That would be what I'd say in court if his insurance didn't handle things the way they should. :look:

#35 ·
I really have been having PTSD riding around with my wife in her car. I felt like I was gonna die every 5 minutes. lmfao.

And no FAPFAPFAP for me for a while. Im a righty. . . . . That alone is enough personal suffering for me

#41 ·
Must not be married. lol
Also, meant to tell you to hold onto that helmet... I'm going to do a DIY on how to make a wrecked helmet into a lamp... Just giving you a heads up. May knock that out next weekend... Keep an eye out... I figure, the more helmets I wreck, the cooler my house will get... In the end, I'd love to make furniture, like tables, bar stools and such out of motorcycle parts... I think that'd be a bitchin idea!

:cheers

#38 ·
Sorry to hear you went down... Depending on the adjuster, they may total it and cut you a check... That means... Track bike time! Then you could pick u another street ride if that's what ou were interested in... Course, if you were only to make it track, you'd pocket several grand... Other then the shoulder, you're relatively alright too. Take that thing to the track and never worry about getting hit by a car again! With the money insurance will pay you. You could afford another bike and tracking that one, or just tracking that one, a trailer, and even a pit bike, and still pocket a couple grand... So turn that frown upside down!

#43 ·
The helmet will be the first DIY... Actual furniture like chairs, tables and such are down the road. When I can afford to spend the coin on some trial and error type projects... I've got some really sick ideas tho!

#46 ·
That'd be relatively easy... I'd design a free standing full exhaust bong... That'd be sick! At some point I'll start collecting various parts from all sorts of bikes and see what I can do...

#50 ·
So went out and looked a little closer at the bike today. This hole in the gas tank cover goes all the way down into the airbox and possibly deeper. No bueno.

#53 ·
Then he's definitely at fault. Get a copy of the police report along with every receipt you can scrap together from your bike and injuries and submit it to the other insurance.

Buddy of mine got $13k for his 08R6 after someone totaled into him because he had a local shop value the man hours at their hourly rate that it would have taken to do all the work on the bike he had done himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#54 ·
Im mostly worried about getting the paint redone. I got an estimate to get 2 plastics color matched and it was gonna be almost $700 plus buying the paint. I have a feeling im gonna get dicked around on that.

#55 ·
I just totaled a bike with USAA---painless process…paid me a boatload of money then let me buy it back for pocket change…then I raped Alex when I sold it to him.

As for the 'who's at fault'….your insurance company determines fault, not the police.

#60 ·
Glad you are okay man.

#62 ·
I have no idea what happened. I was so out of it after the roll and getting the bike off the freeway, then I was hauled off in the back of the ambulance. Im really concerned about what the guy told the police. I saw him collaborating with the other guy before the cops got there.

#63 ·
I have no idea what happened. I was so out of it after the roll and getting the bike off the freeway, then I was hauled off in the back of the ambulance. Im really concerned about what the guy told the police. I saw him collaborating with the other guy before the cops got there.
Aww man that is lame.. :thumbdown

Luckily I had another rider who was right behind me when I was hit.

I'm not sure how he would be able to justify trying to cross over the yellow lines...

#66 ·
glad you are alright and the bike can be fixed. heal up quick man!

#67 ·
Yea I already have a lawyer working on it. Ive been screwed over by insurance companies way to many times to have it happen again. The custom paint job alone will probably total out the bike.

#68 ·
#71 ·
hope it goes well and you heal up quick.

#72 ·
Check this bruise out. I spent the last few days thinking my vision was messed up from the painkillers and then my ole lady snapped a picture at the doctors office today. My surgeon thought they had prepped me for the OR with iodine already. lol.

So gnarly

#74 ·
Just an update. The police report got released yesterday and they found the other driver at fault. My lawyers working with insurance now to get my bike inspected. I lwish the process would go a little faster but hopefully it gets squared away in the next 6-8 weeks so I can start riding as soon as my shoulder heals.

And tomorrow morning im going in to get surgery on my shoulder to put in the plate and fix it all up.

#77 ·
Navy has some of The best surgeons around... You'll be juuust fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.