Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Adust the Idle on 09 R6

17K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MELK-MAN 
#1 · (Edited)
How do you adjust the idle or where is the idle screw located? Just curious. It does not say in the owners manual.

#2 ·
Hi people, I have a 09 R6 that is currently running at 2krpm idle which is too high, any idea on how to adjust the idle? I do not know where the screw is nor does the owners manual say. Thank you.
are we sure that it's the idle adjustment screw that's causing the high idle or could there be an underlying issue that you'd effectively mask by messing with it? unless someone's already adjusted it, something else is likely causing the high idle. make sure you don't just fix the symptoms, correct the problem...

s3aturnr

#3 ·
I dont know of what problems there possibly could be. I mean the bike only has 3700+ miles on it and I have taken good care of it but at the same time only doing stuff such as checking bolts,cables,etc, change the oil, clean it, regrease the chain, things like that. As far as mechancial I have not done anything to the bike, I just had it inspected a few days ago, yet just noticed today that my bike is over idling. any idea of what it could be? The bike tends to go around 10mph on its on now which is kind of weird(unless I hold in the clutch or pop it in to neutral).:dunce:

#5 · (Edited)
You know I feel kinda dumb. I mean the idle is fine sitting at 1400rpm, but what I guess I mean is it normal when in first gear for it to role at 8mph even though I am not giving it any throttle? I just rode up a hill(idle at 1400-1500rpm) at a matain speed of 8mph while giving it no gas. Is that normal?

#9 ·
as DESE posted, your clutch needs adjusted. should be very simple, there is an adjuster on your clutch perch. you have too much free play right now, and the small distance the cable is moved before your lever hits your grip, the clutch isn't disengaging enough. If you do have the correct free play, you likely have warped metal clutch plates. or, it's really cold where you are and the engine oil isn't warmed up just yet, and that is causing some drag among all the plates.. but likely is a cable adjustment considering the bike is literally moving forward.

#7 ·
there is no idle screw on the 06 r6, its all electronic, the only way to increase the idle timing is by lifting the tank and on the bottom underneath all the hoses there are 4 breathing tubes with black plastic plugs, just remove a plug and that will increase the idle speed or plug them and that will decrease it, proved it yesterday, the famous screw that everyone talks about does not exist and the one situated between the plugs is not for idle, there's a thread somewhere about idle speed that the guy moded the idle spring and installed a screw, that one is just as effective as the plugs.:toocool:

#8 · (Edited)
holy crap man.. seriously?
you know what you removed? a vacuum plug! and now your bike is running lean and THAT is why your idle speed increased. Those plugs are removed to hook up a throttle body sync tool.

Of course if you lean out to a dangerous level the idle increases.. same as if you were to dump in huge amounts of fuel, the idle will drop. NEITHER are good for the engine. Running lean can cause the engine to run hot at best, and potentially detonate and damage the engine at worst.

You can't adjust the idle without having other bad after affects, except though the ECU. There IS a tiny alen head screw with small lock nut in the middle of the throttle bodies on the back side, between the block off plugs (the plugs you remove to sync throttle bodies).. that screw WILL raise or lower idle, but it is factory set and you will cause LOTS of problems if you mess with it. Trust me on this. SIX YEARS ago builders/racers were trying to do this accurately on the 3rd gen bikes, and some of us ended up having to get another set of throttle bodies.

if that screw gets turned even a slight amount, and it will have a large affect on idle but you won't see it right away even with the bike running. You might run the bike hard and then it's ideling at 5000rpm. You will try to adjust it a tiny amount, and next time out it's barely running when you let off the gas.

DON'T mess with that screw.. the only way to adjust a 3rd gen idle safely is with an ecu flash.

#11 · (Edited)
there is no detail on how to adjust the idle, because this bike is FLY BY WIRE, and you can NOT adjust the idle. It's programmed in the ECU.
Fly by wire.. you have a throttle cable that then turns a position sensor. That sensor sends signals to the ecu, which in turn tells the servo motors to turn the butterflys.. the butterflys are NOT turned by the cable as they are on prior generation R6 engines. If you pull the airbox cover off, with the ignition off, and turn the throttle grip, guess what? the butterflys do not move.
thus there is no way to mechanically hold the butterflys open via idle screw. And if you DO devise some way to do that, the ecu is still telling the injectors to meter out the original amount of fuel, and the A/F mix is lean.. bad for the engine.

there is likely a better and more accurate explanation in the manual, or by someone else, but this is my quick rundown of it.

do
not
mess
with
the
idle
unless
you
flash
ecu
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.