Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Flash Tune Interface - Review - FAQ

484K views 3K replies 180 participants last post by  980ti 
#1 · (Edited)
WARNING

FlashTune's new owners, decided to release an update that will destroy the old gold box flash interface. I can only assume they thought it was no longer profitable so they choose to eliminate all the boxes currently in the market.

Just do a search on selfDestructFTDI() the code they used to purposely brick current devices. Once this came out they even tried to rename the routine to happyinterface() to try and hide thise. More here.

If your old flash interface still works, do NOT connect it to the internet, or the let the FlashTune software update. People are currently working on a way to unbrick these devices, but until then, safest bet is to use older offline versions of the software.

With these kind of practices, I will no longer answer questions about FlashTune. However I'll be happy to help people get old software working though so they can continue to use the hardware they bought.

Alternatives to FlashTune

You have other options to flash your R6 / R1 ECUs.

I suggest you look into Woolich Racing before making a purchase with FlashTune.

Since this thread has gotten huge, I'm going to try and have a list of important posts you should also read, that are buried in pages of info here.

- Troubleshooting - Connection Issues - Other Issues - Backing up your software.
- Those with Immobilizers read this
- 2012 ECU Flash List

- Software 1.5.4.0 changes
- Software 2.0.0.1 is out!

- Timing Recommendations.
- My Latest Map.

Coupon code for 10% off any products from flash-tune: EFJ124680

-Jamie M.

Mods Please do NOT sticky this!
I will add this into my existing FAQ when it's ready, we have enough clutter at the top of the forum already.

Ok so I've had some time messing around with my Flash-Tune flash interface. I've decided to start this thread to openly discuss some of the pros and cons, recommendations, and thoughts on the interface. I will eventually add this into my FAQ when I'm done (In a much revised manner).

Lets first go over some of the restrictions, and maps that are currently on the R6. All the maps I'm posting are for the 06-07 models, as I have an 07. The 08+ are actually quite a bit more restrictive though. (06-07 and 08-12 TPS maps compared here.)

This is the stock throttle map:

Full Resolution Image

This is the "race" throttle map, that is included with the software (Should be similar to the YEC). You can edit this map to be any values you want:

Full Resolution Image

The changes to the map seem mild, but it actually makes a noticeable difference. I was actually surprised to see the 06-07 R6 had a much less restrictive throttle map from the factory than the R1s and the 08+ R6.

This is the stock ECU timing, all values BTDC:

Full Resolution Image

These are the values they recommend and supply for bikes running 91+ octane fuel.

Full Resolution Image

I believe these timing advances are still a little on the conservative side, however for good reason. The quality of fuels today is all over the map, with little to no consistency. Even with these bikes having a knock sensor, detonation at the higher end of the RPM band could be catastrophic.

According to the "stock" flash file, the secondary injectors are actually not used as much as I would have thought.

Full Resolution Image

Again, this is "their" recommendation, included, which increase the proportion of the secondary injectors:

Full Resolution Image

See less See more
#1,214 ·
Ok peeps, need your help :(

I flashed a bike (super far away from me, mailed me ECU), 2007 R6, USA version (verified with picture of ignition cylinder).

Flashed with the latest version of the software (1.5.2.0 or something):

I used the built in map in the new software (they've done a lot of tweaking), then just loaded the MJS fuel map, did my throttle tweaks, that's it.

Customer got the ECU back, put it in bike, doesn't start. It cranks good, but doesn't fire. Getting code 50 (bad ECU) and 46 (bad fuel injection) flashing where the coolant temp normally is :(

The ONLY thing I did different with his bike, versus the other 65 I've flashed is that, in the new software, I calibrated his speedo for his custom sprockets (as can bee seen in the above image). I sure damn hope that's not the issue :(

Anyone seen anything like this?

-Jamie M.

#1,218 ·
Ok peeps, need your help :(
Customer got the ECU back, put it in bike, doesn't start. It cranks good, but doesn't fire. Getting code 50 (bad ECU) and 46 (bad fuel injection) flashing where the coolant temp normally is :(

Anyone seen anything like this?
HUGE PROBLEMS WITH 1.5.1.0 AND 1.5.2.0!

He said lots of problems with it corrupting ECU's!!!

Version 1.5.3.0 (release two days ago) corrects the issue :(
I had the same thing happen with my first flash attempt a couple weeks ago. I just gave it another go around and it stuck
Took several flashes for me, happened to my bike as well. After a few flashes I was starting to worry my ECU was toast, I have posts in here about it actually, buried somewhere at this point. I believe I did have to flash back to stock with the new software, then flash what I wanted with the old software to get mine back. The ECU was able to be reflashed though.

#1,216 ·
I had the same thing happen with my first flash attempt a couple weeks ago. I just gave it another go around and it stuck. I've since downloaded the newest software, sbut I haven't flashed anything yet. I'll most likely flash the map I've been working on and see if it all goes well.

Speaking of which, I used your track map as a template to make my own above. I moved the 100% throttle up the rev range a bit just because it seemed a bit early to be hitting at 6500rpm. Do you see any inherent problems with it the way it sits? What improvements would you suggest, if any? Also, I know Chief has said that timing is aggressive with the flash tune maps, but do I need to adjust any timing since I adjusted the throttle map? Thanks!

#1,217 ·
Speaking of which, I used your track map as a template to make my own above. I moved the 100% throttle up the rev range a bit just because it seemed a bit early to be hitting at 6500rpm. Do you see any inherent problems with it the way it sits? What improvements would you suggest, if any? Also, I know Chief has said that timing is aggressive with the flash tune maps, but do I need to adjust any timing since I adjusted the throttle map? Thanks!
Flash-tune has WAY backed off the ignition timing in all of their new maps (that come with 1.5.1 and above), so, as long as you made your map from one of the built in maps, you're golden. If you used a downloaded map, I would suggest against it.

If you mess with the throttle table you don't need to worry about the ignition timing, as it's tied to the throttle value and RPM, everything will work fine.

No issues running 100% down that low for me, but who knows without back to back dyno runs to see if opening it that early is hurting power at all.

Looks good, good luck with the flash :)

What fuel map you going to put in it? MJS per gear 250RPM? Don't forget to click Apply after you import it ;)

-Jamie M.

#1,227 · (Edited)
I want to tell everyone in this forum that Jamie is a asset to this forum and will go out of the way for his customer!!!! I was the guy that shipped the ecu from Florida and due to hurricane sandy it took a very long time to get to him but it got there. Had a lil issue with my bike and I messaged him and let me say "Great customer service!!" He made it right and made sure I was totally satisfied! I can't thank him enough for all the aggervation with mailing and a little issue but he hooked me up BIG TIME... Anyone looking to get their ecu flashed, Jamie is the freakin MAN!! He is a Asset..! Thanks again Jamie and have a great holiday brother!!!!!

#1,228 ·
Oh my bike rips in every damn gear!! Unbelievable notice in speed..

#1,229 ·
Thanks man!!! Glad you like it :)

After all the shipping issues we had I was going to post up that I wasn't going to accept any more ECU's from the USA!!! I thought for sure they had lost your original ECU in hurricane Sandy, and after UPS said the "plane was late" for your replacement ECU I was freaking out big time!

Glad you got er in time for the weekend so you can really test it out. Hopefully nice weather down there!

-Jamie M.

#1,230 ·
80f brother! Lol.. Jus sent u txt bk. keep warm man!

#1,231 ·
Well, I've tried the copy and paste method and it works 99% correctly. All the map values paste except for the last column. They remain unchanged :confused:. Not a huge issue...it's a lot easier to change a few values in a single column as opposed to rewriting the values for each gear!
I tried to start from the beginning and link the gears before making any changes and a box pops up with this message:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at Flash_Tune.MainUI.DataGrid_CellvalueChanged()
at Flash_Tune.MainUI.changeselected(Int32 stepint, Int32 soften)
at Flash_Tune.MainUI.datagrid_KeyPress(Object sender, KeyPressEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.OnKeyPress(KeyPressEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.ProcessKeyEventArgs(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4234 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Flash-Tune
Assembly Version: 1.2.2.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Strop/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/816N3TQE.27E/M3N1ZR3H.3X9/flas..tion_0000000000000000_0001.0005_d0a8be3caead40c9/Flash-Tune.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4234 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4228 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4230 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_64/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I have no idea what it's trying to tell me. I'm guessing it's instructions to change some file and it might solve the problem?? Greek to me.

Anyway, I did notice a wierd thing happen with the values when I saved the files. After I opened them again, the values had changed slightly. For instance the 32's may have changed to 31.9's and some of the 100 values changed to 101 or 102. For the most part, the values were changed by only tenths so it isn't a big deal, but the high 102 values has me scratching my head. Should this be a concern?

#1,232 ·
Look at those maps carefully, usually when it copies everything except the last column one of two things has happened, either that table has am extra column for some reason, or it pasted everything over to the left one space.

Sometimes selecting the whole map before pasting will make it paste correctly, but a lot of the time I have to restart the software to make it work after it starts acting up.

I've always found the link all changes between gears is also very buggy and only works once in some instances, meaning I don't use it until I'm completely done with the map.

#1,233 ·
Also you aren't mixing maps between versions of software are you?

You may want to start a map from scratch as it sounds like something in your current map is corrupt.

#1,235 ·
OK, so repetition was the key to get all the percentage values identical across all gear maps, as well as keeping "100" as the max value (none of this 101, 102, or 103 garbage). All gear maps are playing well together, but I still get some whacky values when I switch from the "percent" map to the "values" map.
Below is the Gear 1 map. FWIW, I'm adjusting everything in the Percentage map. Don't know if that makes a difference?

Attachments

#1,240 · (Edited)
hey guys. so I'm going to grab a quick shift setup either from annitori or just a sensor and run if off pin #21 (where is pin 21 btw and what color is it on the ecu plugs)?

was wondering if I enable quickshift sensor on flash tune how does it cut the bike off, ignition or fuel?

to recap once i flash the ecu engine brakig is automatically reduced by 20%?

anybody have a throttle map for me to only release openings dont need quick turn throttle? just flashed my ecu and the bike finally runs, stupid effed up immobilizer

what is: AIS , TOS and ETV?

when im changing values in ycct how come colors dont change only values? i figured a value at 100 would be red but it is not

cheers!

#1,241 · (Edited)
hey guys. so I'm going to grab a quick shift setup either from annitori or just a sensor and run if off pin #21 (where is pin 21 btw and what color is it on the ecu plugs)?
Pin 21 is an unused harness port so it has only a small white plastic "plug". When you remove your harness from the ECu, you'll see small numbers molded into the face of the plug and that will show you where #21 is. IIRC, it's top row 2nd from left side of bike, between two blk/blue wires, on the smaller clip of the ECU.

was wondering if I enable quickshift sensor on flash tune how does it cut the bike off, ignition or fuel?
I believe it's ignition only, but don't quote me on that.

to recap once i flash the ecu engine brakig is automatically reduced by 20%?
??
anybody have a throttle map for me? just flashed my ecu and the bike finally runs, stupid effed up immobilizer
There's a few maps on this thread, for both street and track. What year bike and what purpose?

what is: AIS , TOS and ETV?
AIS = smog pump
TOS = tip over sensor
ETV = Engine braking (from the throttle end. Meaning how much throttle actually stays applied by the drive by wire system despite your physical throttle grip being closed)

Great show. Woody Harrelson did a bang up job!

#1,243 ·
thanks for the replies guys!

I'll give the linear map a try Jamie, Thanks!

right now I'm not using anyones map besides the ones provided on flashtune, does that have any reduction in engine braking or are they just zero for now.

I plan to run a afm and fuel management at the track next year to tune it so no maps for the time being. despite just putting a full system and filter.

When I go into ycct and change the values do you only do them by "1" increments or can you also put a value then change the figure? I've tried it both ways and it works but the color of the cell does not change. Ie a "100" figure is still green... weird, where as your guys maps indicate a change in cell colour, does it matter?

#1,244 ·
so I just tried to input the values into ycct and linking all the maps with no luck (newest version 1.5.3.0)

it does change but I get this error "unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore his error and attempt to contine. If you click quite the application will close immediately."

Now when I change the values individually per gear then its not issue, its only when you try and link all the gears does this stupid issue happen.

#1,250 ·
Alright, map is complete! http://ecuflashking.com/r6/2012-05-04-FlashTune/06-07 R6 PumpGas91+ TAFB Linear ver 1530 ONLY.ftm

Double checked throttle tables, everything is flawless :)

Dialed in approx 25% reduction in engine braking. If it's too much or not enough you can use the fuel/ignition slider on the main screen to adjust it. DO NOT TOUCH THE ETV SLIDER!

I've set up the map as if it was my bike. So Canadian (disable immob), disable O2 sensor (TPS vs RPM performance map only), 16.5k rev limiter (you can lower to 16k or 15k or whatever you want, don't go above 16.5k unless you have YEC valve springs), disable smog air pump (AIS), force idle to approx 1300rpm, quickshifter enabled (pin 21 on small ECU coupler), cooling fans 205/195, perfectly linear throttle table.

If you don't have a power commander or bazzaz already, I would load OhioYJ's MJS fuel map into that map (import map button on main screen, then CLICK APPLY MAP, then flash).

Let me know how she goes :)

-Jamie M.

#1,251 · (Edited)
FLASHED!

Thanks Jamie, I owe you one. We'll have some brewski's at the end of a TD this up comming summer :cheers

The reason for the lower rpm rev limit is so I don't get too carried away and blow the motor haha

going to the show this week? I'm only going to sign up for some TD's before they all disappear.

#1,252 ·
Nice!!! When are you gonna try it out? It ain't snowin!

Sounds good. I'm going to try and run Calabogie a bunch next year, probably some TMP and Mosport too :)

I scored a free pair of tickets for the show so I'll for sure be going. My friend wants to buy a Ninja 300 but I heard they won't be at the show!!? :(

I have set the rev limiter to 16.5k for peeps and they ride the limiter all the way down the side straight at TMP and no problems yet, lol :)

TMP if you haven't been there:

-Jamie M.

#1,256 ·
In the new version of the software, 1.5.3.0, the fuel/ign slider bar works perfect for changing the maps! In every version prior it would totally mess up the maps and give you ZERO engine braking! SCARY!

So yep, I drag the slider bar, confirm timing and fuel additions/subtractions are correct for each gear, save the map, load it back up again, then double check the values again :)

-Jamie M.

#1,257 · (Edited)
no no I'm sure you made adjustments to everything including the throttle table. The problem with my software is when I go to open up the throttle table all the values show like stock which leads me to believe the software is resetting the values. below is a screen shot of what I see when I open the throttle table. I've also tried to adjust the throttle table myself but it will automatically reset once I change to a different gear map or save and reopen :(

wow a slipper clutch haha thats crazy

Attachments

#1,258 ·
no no I'm sure you made adjustments to everything including the throttle table. The problem with my software is when I go to open up the throttle table all the values show like stock which leads me to believe the software is resetting the values.
Upload a pic of the general settings/main screen as well as the throttle table so we can see wtf is goin on!

-Jamie M.

#1,266 ·
interesting. then on my computer your throttle table is the exact table as the one provided by flash tune on 91 pump hence why i kept sayin stock thottle tables keep poppin up in flash tune.

you posted a linear throttle map a few pages ago was that not the one you uploaded for my profile? I was under the impression that was the throttle map so i was looking for figures like in that throttle table you made. haha

#1,267 ·
Haha :)

Flash-tune have been doing a lot tuning on their maps, they finally got an in-house Dyno! All of their maps in the 1.5.3.0 software are dyno tuned, both the throttle table and the ignition table. They said that we were opening to 100% way too early before, causing a slight dip in power. When the stock ECU slaps from 60% right to 100% that's the cause of the big dip you see around 8000-9000RPM!

So flash tune have backed way off on the ignition timing (at least on the R1 maps I usually look at) and have smoothed and increased the point it opens the butterflies right to 100%.

Who am I to argue?

If you want I can paste over their new recommended map with my old school map, but FT says their map will make more power ;)

-Jamie M.