Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

MJS smog block install on R6

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  toysareforboys 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed these on thier R6? I just did, but the instructions were not clear on which side the groove should face. Also, does it matter if the baskets / cages under the gasket that the reeds attach to, are removed or should they be in? What purpose do they serve without the reeds? Basically when I put the gasket back in it had 2 slots in it where the reeds and I guess a cover plates go. When I put the block off plates on I put the groove closer to the seat and smooth side face up. Any clarification on this would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The Grooves in the plates clear the screws that hold the reeds in (they protrude upward). If you remove the reeds and screws it won't matter, but make sure you don't remove the gasket part.

If they are the Graves plates (I didn't realize MJS made a house brand, the ones I got from Mike were Graves), the G should be "readable" if you are sitting where the front tire is facing the motor.

Just make sure when you tighten them down, you do so evenly and they go down flush.

#3 ·
i recommend people remove EVERYTHING when they install my $23.95/shipped sets. :D

for real though... take it all out. take the screws/reeds off that "grommet plate" and remove the basket things underneath. then put that empty grommet piece back on, and torque the bolt/plate down. use the ziptie to keep that old pump wiring harness outta the way.

http://aggracing.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=51

#4 ·
Thanks, that's what I figured with the groove. I removed everything, so that's fine. I ordered my exhaust from Mike at MJS, they were one of the only ones around that made a low mount shorty for the R6S that I could mount without mods. I tend order multiple things at the same time.

#5 ·
I removed everything, so that's fine. I ordered my exhaust from Mike at MJS, they were one of the only ones around that made a low mount shorty for the R6S that I could mount without mods. I tend order multiple things at the same time.
Make sure you didn't remove the reed mount/gasket plate! Otherwise your plates can leak bad.

Lots of people make low mount shorty's for the R6S, Riot HR1, Competition Werks, Olsen, etc?!

-Jamie M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.