Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Smog block off install/review

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Agg2001 
#1 ·
There are plenty of people out there who did this mod. And thanks to those people there were many, many step by step posts with pictures on how to do this. To those people I say THANK YOU and it was those posts that helped me thru this install...
This post is not another "how to" as I could not do a better job then what is already available. But this is a testimony of the level of difficulty one might expect to take on this task. And by that I mean the "shade tree" mechanic like myself.
I accomplished this install with simple hand tools only. Removal of the tank, side panels, air filter, and plastic velocity stack cover was all pretty easy. The task of actually loosening the allen head screws that hold the air pump in place was the most difficult task of this install, and that only because of the tight area in which to work. With some patience and the smallest 3/8" drive ratchet I could find this was not too bad.
AGG Racing makes a beautiful piece to block off the holes left by the air pump removal. Perfectly machined aluminum at a lesser cost than anything else I could find. IDK if I had a new block off, but in reviews I found you are supposed to remove a screw on the back of the block-off plates. The plates that I received had no such screws, just pure aluminum. A beautiful product.
After install of the plates everything else was reinstalled in reverse order.
Im now ready for my custom tune! :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
the screws are in the back side of your stock plastic smog plates that hold the reeds on

#8 ·
AGG...thanks for pics and the heads up...somewhere I missed these are on the bottom side of the part that didn't come out with the original caps...They even put a tiny dimple in the aluminum caps I installed. So I took it all down this morning and fixed the issue...glad its done right!
To anyone that has installed these and thinks they are ok...they are NOT...you need to get those small screws out of the back of the reed side.
I wonder if milling a "channel" in the back of the block off plates so they will fit over those screws is in the works?....anyway, still a great product and install is now correct! Thanks again!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.