Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Graves EXUP Servo Eliminator

10K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  06r6sraven 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Yea it is pretty expensive but it's still better than this: http://www.samannasystems.com/ ($99.95 + shipping:thumbdown)

and at least the graves one doesn't involve splicing wires. the exup eliminator isnt a necessity but it is still nice for anyone who wants one.

#5 ·
Yea i thought so too. Thats why i ordered one for myself :yes

#10 ·
lol. yea i know. i cant wait to get mine :D

#20 ·
If I may, I'd like to comment from personal experience. There is a certain amount of support and integrity that has been around since the Honda CB750. People in the industry design and build product that we riders need/want to make our ride a better experience. They put the design into a nice package, spend hours of time giving tech information to fellow riders, and then move on the next needed part. We did not invent the capacitor or electricity here ....we simply made a quality part that can fix your problem. Now if someone cannot afford the product then the next best thing is to get your tools out , put that brain to use and design your own. That holds it's own form of respect in my eyes. If you do not have the skills to do that than saves those pennies and support a company that supports you.
I personally spend a lot of time offering tech info to riders about parts i don't even sell. I have helped people build entire motors over the phone with no benefit to myself or the company I work for EXCEPT the fact Im supporting my fellow riders. I could just as easily hang up on them the second I realize they are not buying a part from me but.....that won't help anyone.
I have a problem with the ebay or craigslist scams, the fraudulent credit card users and the thieves that are out there. Its a poison that makes it difficult to help each other out. Some things show integrity and make the motorcycle industry better and some things offer the exact opposite.

These are just my personal view points and I thank everyone out there that build and ride there motorcycle with integrity. You help the industry advance forward.
Taige Webster

#13 · (Edited)
Went to Graves and picked up the unit.

For those that don’t know, the only thing involved in removing the servo is unscrewing the two mounting bolts and disconnecting it from the wiring harness.

Servo removed:

After you remove the servo, you’re left with this connector:

You simply plug the unit from Graves into that connector and you’re almost done.

Graves unit plugged in:

From here, the only thing left to do is figure out where you want to hide the connector. Graves provides a piece of velcro to stick it to the chassis, subframe, etc., but I decided to do something else.

I propped up the tank, pulled the connector through under the tank and simply zip-tied it to another connector on the wiring harness.

I used I green zip-tie just in case I needed to locate the connector in the future.

As advertised, no engine light, less weight, less bulk, less draw from the battery and an extremely clean and tidy look in the rear suspension area.

Installation time is about 5 minutes, but can obviously be longer depending on how creative you want to get in hiding the servo connector. In my case, 20 minutes.

I don’t know about you guys, but I find great pleasure in adding take-off parts to my OEM parts box.

#17 ·
I want one too.... I just took my cables off mine and stuck the whole motor up under the tank, burrito wrapper and all. I can hear it, but cant see it anymore. LOVE adding crap to the OEM take-off box too... I will be getting the graves unit soon....

#14 ·
looks pretty good. mine should be coming in a few days. I like the idea of hiding it under the tank. nice touch :yes . The only thing I'm doing differently is that I put the two mounting screws from the exup motor back into their original holes behind the shock. Maybe it's just me but it makes it look neater w/o 2 open threaded holes there. Not really a big deal but to me it makes it look more complete. damn OCD :D.

#24 ·
I seriously find it ironic that someone will pay $300-$600 for a slip-on or upwards of $1,100 for a full system, but balk at the idea of paying $70 to complete the installation.

Now that it's available, the eliminator should automatically be factored into the cost of upgrading to a slip-on or full system, no differently than factoring in the cost of a Power Commander when you're upgrading to a full system.

After installing a Leo Factory system and the eliminator, the weight saved was 11 pounds.

The eliminator was a no-brainer.

#25 · (Edited)
Thought I'd chime in here. I'd be the first to tell you that this was certainly not one of the most complicated things I've ever done, from an electrical engineering standpoint. However, after almost a decade of EXUP-equipped Yamaha's, I didn't see a single offering that the average street guy could just plug in and ride that worked for everybody. So when certain people asked if I could throw one together, I agreed. It was worth my time because of the quantity we would manufacture, but it would not have been worth my time if I was going to hack somebody else's apart, measure components, and solder it together on my garage floor for a single bike. I know everybody values their time differently....that's just me.

On a separate note, a large number of these have already been sold and are running around on the street and track with happy owners. We have gotten calls on three of the units failing to clear the engine code 18. These seem to be limited to the R1, but I thought I would post our findings so others could avoid the same situation. We have traced these faults down to three primary issues:

1) Running the bike for some length of time without a servo motor prior to installing the EXUP eliminator.

2) A dirty/fouled wiring harness connector not being cleaned before installation.

3) Low system voltage, due to failing reg/rec or poor battery quality (or simply accidentally leaving the bike in the on position at a bike night).

If possible, please avoid the above scenarios. If anyone should experience a failure with the EXUP Eliminator unit, please contact Taige with as much info as possible so we can make sure everything gets worked out quickly.

Beau @ Graves Motorsports

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.