Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Pit bike set ups/pics

12K views 78 replies 24 participants last post by  tanglaw 
#1 ·
Alright gentleman and ladies, me and the wife are in the market for a pit bike. I have my eye on a 2008 Yamaha TTR-50 for $600. Not sure if that's a good deal or not, as I have no experience with little dirt bikes. My wife wants to use it to travel around taking pictures around the track. How else can I justify this purchase. :lmao

Anyways, I wanted to see some Pit Bikes that our members have on the forum and there set ups. Any suggestions would be appeciated as well.

I searched the forum and there was some limited discussion, just not pictures of these fun toys.

#4 · (Edited)
Crf 70. That's what you want. Bullet proof, idiot proof, and cheap.
Our go with a bigger bike like the crf 100 or the Suzuki/Kawasaki equivalent. Honda can make the fcuk out of these lil dirtbikes

#5 ·
1998 XR70. Don't get a 50. They need so much work to fit an adult rider. This came with the adult spring on it, the shock mounted on the higher hole to give it epic ride height in the rear. It also has a longer shifter so a man's foot can shift it easily. Ebay knockoff big bore carb kit + leo vince full system = WINNING. Smokes like a pig (needs valve seals which I have now! WEWT).

I go two up on this bitch like a BAUCE :fact

Billy crashed this beast twice last weekend. I believe Eric crashed it on the trail by the shop pretty good and i know Burg has some sweeeeeeet road rash scars from crashing it too. Best $300 birthday gift I've ever received. My GF is easily 40% as cool as your wife bro. Except my girl hates the smell of paint. :nono

MAN SHIT!!

#9 ·
Alright, I will keep looking for something a little bigger. They are all starting to pop on Craigslist now. I figured I could buy one now and make it a Winter project if need be.

They seem to be a blast. Plus I am tired of walking everywhere at the track. That's awesome your GF purchased it for you. This is the most involved I have seen my wife. She loves everything about the track and she likes the smell of paint :fact

#23 ·
:love

:lmao
Sweet! I will check this out when I get home. You should make a build thread here in the Track section :sing
:laugh I just might. I'm gonna rejet it tonight so it really rips this weekend. Top off the oil too. Oh yea, it runs like half a season on 2 gallons of gas too!!! :lmao

You sold me on the idiot proof part :lmao That's what I need.
:yes I just wait to hear the valves tapping a bit in hard turns and then I know I have to add more oil. The trailbikes 88cc kit is coming VERY VERY soon though. A whole top end with carb and all is like $350. cylinder, head, etc. Decent stuff too. Nothing is like the stock/OEM ones and parts. DON'T get the knock offs. For the prices you are posting you COULD get one though and it would be brand new. SSR has cheap models now, but the whole fcuking thing is flea market ebay quality.

My dream pit bike is a 2003+ KX65. 2 stroke and does about 50 MPH. They are DAMN FAST little bikes. FMF fatty pipe on there and I'd be good to go. I think it even is a powervalve cylinder setup too. I rode one and almost crashed it a few times. shit was INTENSE!!

Idk why but that made me bust out. Forest :lmao

Those Honda 70s will run on hopes and dreams. They never stop running and you can't break one.
:lmao

I hate both of you. It's flatter than an Asian girl's chest over here :laugh A few shrubbery here and there is called the forest :bowroll
:laugh :hug

Dude if you want some pep in your step get a yz85. Way bigger bike, way faster, and just as easy to maintain. its a race bike..I've cleared 60ft triples on one. you can find them under 1k
KX65 FTW for a pit bike. :fact

Pit bike is the shit! it needs some bauce racing decals! oh and yes i was trolling through the woods by the shop and went over the handle bars :lmao lucky its so small i pretty much just stepped over the bike as it was falling in a sink hole :YEA got back on and ripped back to the shop.
:fact :flex:
:flex:

Walked to the back of the shop one day and found my buddy in a ditch with a PW50 on top of him. Could not stop laughing.

:laugh

#16 ·
Hey man also check out the ttr125l. The L stands for large wheels with disk front brake. I picked a 2001 up last winter for 800. My girl learned how to ride on it. Its a great bike and not too small.

I'm 6 food and had trouble up shifting. Had to actually lift my entire leg up to go up a gear haha

Just jet the carb and it'll last forever

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

#17 ·
Dude if you want some pep in your step get a yz85. Way bigger bike, way faster, and just as easy to maintain. its a race bike..I've cleared 60ft triples on one. you can find them under 1k

#24 ·
scooters are WAY easier and nicer for pit bikes in some ways. Case in point, have you tired to pull a tire wagon or carry a wheel with one hand, and let the clutch out on your pit-dirt-bike? it sucks. and then there is the shifting part.. A zuma or Aprillia scooter, etc. are much nicer as you can hold something/pull something with one hand and just "go". Electric start so if you are barefoot for some reason, or riding 2-up with the g/f, whatever, it's easier. Zuma's are pretty cheap too. Minibikes just kind of suck in general too with your knees up in your face. Sitting at a riders meeting on a nice comfy seat, feet up on a nice sized running board, that's the life. :)

#26 ·
We have looked at the Zuma's and haven't ruled them out. The way it's going, I may get a his and hers. She can have the Zuma and I have will have something I can toy around with. Needless to say, my truck bed may end up filled with not only equipment, but two little bikes.

#28 ·
#34 ·
I just picked up an XR100 last week to be my pit bike! I've only ridden it once so far - on a flat back tire tube - so can't wait to get it all together and really see what it can do. Bunch of initial maintenance work to start.

#35 ·
Wanna talk scooters, my friend just got a scooter to pull his drag bike. Damn its fun to beat on that thing

#38 ·
I bought a new Kawasaki Pit Bike earlier this year. It is a KLZ 100. It is absolutely perfect. It is strong enough to haul me and Lora round (although she doesnt have anywhere to rest her feet, she has to hold them up).

It has a 3-spd, clutchless transmission and actually goes pretty fast.

I like it because it is big enough to carry me/us around, but small and light enough that it doesnt take up much room in the trailer and i can pick it up and move it around by hand.

I had a Suzuki LTZ 50 ATV and i like the little dirt bike better because it doest take up as much room and is easier to get on/off of.

#44 ·
Hell yea man

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.