Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Too Cold To Start?

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  06r6'n 
#1 ·
Hey guys, last month I topped up fuel in my 2004 R6 added stabilizer and put it on a rear stand for winter. Its stored in an unheated garage.
Today I went to start it up and it wont start.
It just keeps cranking then sounds increasingly bogged down.
Granted it is around 23 degrees here in columbus ohio right now but I think that it should start regardless.

Any Ideas...?
Thanks

#6 ·
Sounds like a batter issue to me as well. Make sure you DO NOT try to jump it off of your car haha some idiots mess stuff up like that
Yeah DON'T jump it with a car or a car battery booster either. Previous owner did that to my bike and fried the battery. Luckly nothing else was harmed.

Sounds like low battery volts, but it could also be a combination of the oil being cold. In cold temps oil is like honey. (depending on what oil you're using)

#7 ·
Similar story here, I rode my bike the day before and yesterday after running it briefly the day I got back from a 3 week vacation. The temps have been low 30-40s but today the bike turned over a couple times but the battery stopped cranking.
I am thinking I am just down on juice, but it could be I need to replace the battery as the bike has 20K miles on it. How do you go about charging/testing a bike battery anyway? Should I just pop it out of there and take it to a bike shop?

#12 ·
yeah its best to have it on a tender. Something about starting it once a week is bad because of condensation builds up in the oil and stuff. Ive got Sta-bil in it with the battery on the battery tender.

#15 ·
So my battery tender arrived today, took off the seat to see the battery strapped in there. What next do i just clamp the connectors on or should i use the more "permanent" leads that came with the tender? Also any tps to not electrocute myself or fry the bike?
I know im a total rookie at this :sing
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.