Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

Cold Start Stalling

2K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  VR46 
#1 ·
my bike is brand new...only 100 miles so far and it has always stalls the first time i cold start it. it doesnt happen all the time but frequently.

should i be concerned?

#2 ·
!Ron said:
yes cause unless you are living in antartica no matter how cold FI start up without much hickup
what did you just say?

well i know when i first got my bike i had the same problem. i talked to a dealer and they said go for a long ride, pick up your speed, pick up your rpms, and turn OFF your highbeams. after a few good rides and like 45 mins of a trickle charge my bike was fine.

#7 ·
they werent really helpful. they pretty much said that it doesnt sound like a problem and tryin blipping the throttle when you start it up to see if that helps.

i guess ill keep an eye on it to see if it gets better or worse.

he did say that it probably isnt related to the battery.

#9 ·
just charge your battery! my bike did the same thing, seriously, do yourself some good and go for a nice ride on some roads without a lot of stops or do what !ron said and let it sit on a charger. i learned that the hard way. i went up a busy street, some guy slammed on his brakes which made me nervous so when i started up again i stalled...thats when my bike decided the battery was dead. i had to push my bike up a hill to bump start it and get home.

and at the dealerships sometimes if the bike sits there for a while the charge dies, hence the job of a porter at a car dealership, they charge the batteries every once and a while.

#11 ·
arr6 said:
speaking of cold starts, does your throttle lag for a little bit before the engine heats up?
do you mean the throttle lags for a bit while it's idling or when you try to ride your bike while it's warming up?

you're engine warms at a higher rpm when you start it so it heats up faster (i believe) and you're not supposed to ride when you just turn on your bike, if your in a hurry atleast wait for it to get out of the "low" setting, but most people will agree when i say 140-150 is good.

#13 ·
do you guys start with the bike in neutral or first gear?

i havent tried this enough to be certain but when i started my bike last night, this morning and afternoon in neutral it did not stall on the first attempt.

whenever i try to start it in first, even though the clutch is in, the bike wants to jump forward too.

i did take a very long ride this past weekend. then it did stall again while in first gear on the next start up attempt in the morning.

#14 ·
jjm004 said:
they werent really helpful. they pretty much said that it doesnt sound like a problem and tryin blipping the throttle when you start it up to see if that helps.

i guess ill keep an eye on it to see if it gets better or worse.

he did say that it probably isnt related to the battery.
I tried blipping my throttle on startup before cause the bike sounded like it was going to die.... that just killed it. Stopped that with the quickness.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.