Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How much coolant?

24K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Layzieyegunman 
#1 ·
Hi every one! I was planning on switching to engine ice because most people seem to suggest it. I was wondering if 2 bottles of engine ice is really necessary or can i make do with 1 bottle(1/2gallon)???

In the link bellow i noticed the guy in the video made it work with 1 bottle. What do you guys think?

#17 ·
prestone? peak? i would probably get the pre-mix stuff so i don't have to worry about getting some distilled water. if yamacool is comparable in price to what you can find at autozone, get that. otherwise, they're just trying to make a buck off you...

s3aturnr

#19 ·
What??? I just said "interesting". As the statements were offered as "opinions", well everyone is entitled. It would be rude on my part (and I am trying to clean up my act a little) to just say they were utter BS! So I won't say it ;)

One misconception I will clear up is this:
Do you know the real reason EngineIce is allowed in "some" orgs and not others? It is NOT because it is less slippery than some other brands. It is because Propylene Glycol is non-toxic and biodegradeable while Ethylene Glycol is not. Makes disposal much easier and cheaper...But the act of cleanup is just as big a hastle with either and one is just as slippery as the other. Some orgs, AMA included, at one time allowed one and not the other but have since disallowed any Glycol base as guess what the slippery component is?

#20 ·
Makes sense...I was told the same thing when running in a Moto Series event. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything different being told.
Since then, I have just switched to "distilled water" w/redline mixed. It takes the guessing out of what each track org is going to required.

#23 ·
Pretty much. Most TD providers require non glycol based coolants for the Advanced groups, but allow anything for the I and N groups. Never could figure that out. Well I understand their reasoning...just don't agree with it.

FWIW I would recommend water/whatever for all on track activities. If you did happen to crash or leak, I personally would hate to be the guy who shut the track down for an hour while they cleaned up any antifreeze. JMO

#27 ·
Yeh, whatever you are comfortable using, especially if you "know a guy". :)
Never personally had any problem or even heard of any until I read it here. But then again, the coolant in my bikes got drained just less frequent than the oil.

Now if you choose to use anything with animal semen in it, I could see that gumming things up a bit...but you would have to ask S3aturnR. He seems to know about it. :*tongue

#30 ·
Hey.. nice video.. and how long this take you to do ?

I did oil change already.. so I am going to do a coolant flush.. and lube my chains..

btw.. how often should we do a coolant flush ?

Thanks.

#32 ·
There is a key point missed in this write up, that I think is important if you are really wanting to drain ALL the coolant from the radiator and the engine. I have a 06 R6 that I just finished prepping for the track this sunday. I did almost everything the same, at first only removed the drain plug, radiator cap, reservoir, and the upper hose that went to the water pump (this dumped a good amount of liquid that did not come out with only the drain plug removed) After I flushed with a 50/50 distilled vinegar and water solution, I then proceeded to reconnect the upper hose I noticed there is a second hose directly underneath that looked like it also went to the water pump and as I looked around I figured it would also need to be disconnected in order to make sure all the fluids would drain out. I removed the second lower hose and sure enough it dumped out at least the same amount as the first hose that all the tutorials say to remove.

The guy in the video does not disconnect either, he says he decided not to because he was going to flush anyways.... I recommend disconnect at least one side of both hoses when flushing the original coolant and then again after flushing with distilled water or 50/50 of vinegar/water.

I paid a lot of money for that engine ice, and your already there might as well do thorough job...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.