Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

'06 R6 vs '06 GSX-R600 i've ridden both!!!!

28K views 56 replies 43 participants last post by  long 
#1 ·
hi im from malaysia i currently own a '03 R6 and a '05 ZX-6R 636, this year i thought of sawpping my '03 R6 for either a '06 R6 / '06 GSX-R600. i can't make up my mind until i tried both bikes and i did!! :toocool: my friends 1 of them imported a '06 R6 from japan while the other got a '06 GSX-R600 so i borrowed both their bikes for a test ride to see which 1 i like most. 1 thing for sure, you cant judge a bike's performance based on the dyno charts. the R6 is as fun on the road as a Gixxer if not better. performance wise both bike have different characteristics the Gixxer is more of a grunter with very meaty mid-range better than the R6, while the R6 is a sick-rev-happy motor. the R6 has a very responsive motor its able to pick up revs very quickly crack the throttle open at 5krpm it pulls straight up to 10krpm then pulls even harder till 17krpm until it starts to feel flat. not that the Gixxer is slower but the Gixxer didn't pick up revs as quickly. we tried a 50mph roll on drag R6 vs Gixxer surprisingly the R6 is able to keep up with the Gixxer at lower speeds before going faster than the Gixxer by a small margin. but the R6 is definitely able to out drag the Gixxer. :YEA after swapping our rides a few times we all agree that at similar speed when the Gixxer is revving at 10krpm the R6 is already at 11k+rpm!!! so i don't actually have to worry about mid-range that much cause the R6 is able to rev so quickly i can reach the 10krpm region (where this bike generate the most power) with ease. i just love how frantic the R6 can rev :devils handling wise well im not a pro-racer or journalist so for me both bikes are pretty equal but the R6 is easier to get faster it feels easier to control.

After testing both bikes i've now decided that i will get a R6(blue)!!!!!
3 reasons why i pick R6:
-the R6 revs like crazy just crack open the throttle and revving till 17krpm gives me a rush
-the R6 looks way cooler than the Gixxer, the Gixxer just looks similar to the last generation, but the R6 looks more like a fighter jet on 2 wheels!!!!
-the R6 is a true attention grabber, when my mates and i are riding around town everyone is attracted to the R6, most non-bikers say it looks wild, it looks cool, its different. when i asked them how my ZX-6R look most of them say its radical but ugly :cuss i hate that i love my kwak its ninja lookin cool, but at least my ZX-6R got some attention my mate's poor old Gixxer is 'just another sportsbike' to most people even some bikers thought the '06 GSX-R600 is the last generation model

See less See more
#5 ·
comfort aint too bad for '06 R6 but the ergonomics is good the '03 R6 is comfier though. the '06 Gixxer has a slightly odd riding position, comfy for road thrashing but not for long distances.

#7 ·
sorry but nope cause we are running all 3 bikes on the highway for the drag test my zx-6R and the other 2 bikes running together no one else to take photos of us maybe except the cops :D

#10 ·
Interesting note, friend of mine helped with the press launch of the R6 in Spain. Sounds like Yamaha wanted to bring out each of the other manufacturer's 6s because they were so confident that the R6 would shine in a back to back comparison. Some problem and they couldn't do it in the end. I suppose they were launching at Catalunya and that is exactly where the R6 is going to eclipse the other 6s with its race breeding, on the track. Got some pics of a workship with a nice long row of LE and a nice video taken when they sent a rider out on a 6 with a camera strapped to the tank, that bike is a crazy track machine.

Jay

#12 ·
No problem, here's pitlane with the LEs:

Then there's the workshop with one of the rows of LEs, there were at least three rows that I can count:

Finally someone you may recognise taking an 06 for a spin:

Original pics are dated end of August, convinced? ;)

Jay

#15 ·
dude hate to tell you but that rossi's pic has been all over the internet..

i'm not accusing you of anything, and have no reason not to believe your story.. but the pics you posted only makes your story look more like a fairy tale

#16 ·
Hey Jay can you repost those pics, Cant see them anymore.

The world launch was in Qatar at the Losail circuit, just wondering what those pics are from, August was way to early for any press related stuff.

Despite that, had yamaha re-launched the yellow/black by then? Cant think when the GP at Laugua was.

#19 ·
:bsflag :bsflag :bsflag

#21 ·
I have a gixxer k6 600 for weekdays commuting and I am picking up a raven 06 R6 this weekend as a weekend and track day bike.
Will take some pics of them together and post some thoughts on how they ride as well.
The Gixxer is really comfortable and enjoyable to ride through heavy traffic .... I live in London and commute about 10miles through the centre to work :( I had a 06 CBR 600 RR but just did not like it ... uncomfortable and boring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.