How to: install brake pads : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > How To's...

Old 11-08-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
killa kali
^^ tallest Yamaha rider^^

Bike: 2004 R1
How to: install brake pads

Haven't seen any detailed how-to's on brake pads, so i figured i'd throw this up. I'm installing Carbone Lorraine SBK5 brake pads (from motomummy.com) on my 2008 R6 (non S). Alright fellas this is my first write up, so bear with me

This is by far on of the easiest mods / work i've done to my bike yet
Stands are not necessary but they make the job easier

1. first things first -- the tools necessary to complete the job

- 6mm Allen wrench(T-handle and L-key)
- Ratchet (12mm socket, 7/8 socket)
- Zip ties
- Simple Green
- Spray Bottle (water)
- tooth brush
- pliers
- shop towels
- sand paper

2. Take off each Caliper (12mm socket) by unscrewing the two bolts on the back of the caliper.

3. Run a zip tie through the caliper and hang them on something (i used my frame slider) so that there isn't any stress on the brake lines.

4. Next, remove the front wheel...loosen the 2 allen bolts (6mm) on each side of the wheel. this is where you want to use the L key (for the inside bolts) it's alot easier to loosen the bolt with the L key

5. Unscrew the big bolt that is holding the axle in place (7/8 socket)
http://www.onthethrottle.com/content/view/72/40/

6. Push the axle out and brace the wheel -- remove the wheel

7. Not a necessary step but i chose to do it: take some heavy grit sand paper and sand your rotors to remove the old brake pad residue

8. Time to remove the old brake pads. Grab your pliers and remove the two cotter pins that are on each side of the brake pads. Push the rod out of the caliper and remove the old pads.

9. Next, i cleaned out my calipers. Get your simple green, tooth brush, spray bottle, and shop towels ready. Grab your caliper and spray the simple green all on the inside of your caliper, let it soak up a bit and then grab your tooth brush and scrub away. once you're done scrubbing, take your spray bottle filled with water and spray the calipers down. Dry them thoroughly with your shop towels
http://www.onthethrottle.com/content/view/397/40/

much cleaner

10. Now we put the new brake pads in. Grab your pads, line them up in the caliper. Push the pistons back into place so that they fit easily over your rotors. Put the rod through the calipers and brake pads, then put the cotter pins back in. Hang your calipers back up

11. Install your front wheel. Line your wheel up and insert the axle through the wheel. tighten up those two allen bolts on each side and torque (67ft. lbs.) that massive bolt back through your axle

Not necessary, but i greased my axle before i reinstalled the front wheel.

12. Gently install the calipers over your rotors and bolt 'em back up.

13. Pump up the brakes with your lever and off you go...slowly scrub/break the new pads in on the street

hope that wasn't too complicated

Last edited by killa kali; 11-09-2009 at 12:14 AM.
killa kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
ChouDawg
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Bike: 2007 Yamaha R6v
Send a message via AIM to ChouDawg
Re: How to: install brake pads

Great right up, I've heard you need to resurface the rotors before introducing new pads of different brand/compound but I think you're sand paper method is better then nothing. How many miles would you say you can get out of stock pads?
Old 11-08-2009, 08:01 PM   #3
killa kali

yea i heard about the resurfacing as well, but i was told by a couple track heads that sanding is sufficient enough *shrug* i've got 12K miles on my stock pads and there's still a SHIT LOAD of pad left...not even close to the wear bar (indicators)..but i wanted better braking

Last edited by killa kali; 11-08-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #4
CoRNDoG R6
STOP riding the BRAKES!

Bike: '07 R6

Great write up!!! Should come in handy someday! Did you also replace the rear brake pads, if so, were they Carbone Lorraine SBK5 as well? All the site's ive seen just sell the top brand pads for the front and not the rear. Just wondering!

.:2007 R6 TOTALED:.
CoRNDoG R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #5
killa kali

thx corndog i didn't bother replacing the rear cuz i never use it but motomummy does sell the carbone lorraine rear brake pad

Last edited by killa kali; 11-08-2009 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #6
Dieselboy
My R6 eats you.

Bike: 2010 Yamaha M1

Very nice, I'll add this to the how-to list.
Colin #686
NESBA A | CCS AM
BrewCrew
///If you ride like lightning, you’re gonna crash like thunder.

Dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
drk-syd
Noobie

Bike: 03 R6 Candy Red

Yup, the Hayne's Service & Repair Manual also tells you that you can sand the rotors with sand paper as long as the rotors are not warped. If they are warped, its recommended to get resurfaced or get new rotors lol.
drk-syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
RRR
Do Work

Bike: 2007 Gsxr 750

Good write up man... Maybe I'll buy some new brakes lines and pads!
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
wags06R6
I eat my R6

Bike: Bikeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselboy View Post
Very nice, I'll add this to the how-to list.
I'll have to find the new updated one and save it I was gonna ask if someone would add this to it
wags06R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:36 PM   #10
daobn24
Twist the Wrist

Bike: 2006 R6 raven

Not to take anything away from your write-up but that seem like a lot of work for pads. I'm not sure if the 08-09 brakes are any different then the 06-07 but I can change my pads out in 5 min. tops. Just remove the cotter pins, the pad retainer piece and the stock pads should slide right off...
daobn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement