How to Shorten a Stock 03-05 R6 Exhaust : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > How To's...

Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Luckyedboy66
Stanly the Manly

Bike: 03 R6, 07 R6
How to Shorten a Stock 03-05 R6 Exhaust

This is a "how-to" on shortening your stock 03-05 R6 exhaust pipe. I tried it myself after reading reports of other members trying it, and got spectacular results! Best of all, it was fairly straight forward and took me about 3-4 hours to do. The chopped exhaust looks great and the sound is so much better than stock. I personally can't sense much gained performance, but others may feel free to post up what they found by trying it.

Before you start.
Before cutting into your ugly stock exhaust, you'll want to grab all the necessary parts and tools. Fortunately, the list isn't very long: 12mm socket, crescent wrench (or another 12mm socket), ruler/measuring tape, power drill, drill bit set, rivet tool and rivets, a pen or sharpie, high temp paint (optional) and finally, some form of saw. I used a hacksaw, but a chop-saw (preferred), sawzall, cutting wheel, dremmel, and any combination of the above will work.

Having all the tools and parts on hand will help you get finished and running faster so you can enjoy your handiwork .

1. Getting started.
Start by removing the exhaust pipe. First loosen and remove the exhaust clamp (12mm) located on the underbelly of the bike. Then with 12mm sockets and/or crescent wrenches, remove the nut and bolt supporting the exhaust. The exhaust should slip right off.
Next, lay the exhaust out and determine just how much you want to cut off. Take and measure 4" from the back of the hanger bracket. Anywhere between the 4" mark and the bracket is the green zone - the best and easiest area to cut (at least with a hacksaw). I cut 7.5" off mine, but I recommend at least 8", measured from the end, without the cone (more on that later). At this point you should know whether you want to cut or not. Trust me, the payout is worth it.
You can go ahead and measure/mark your cut line or you can wait until after you've drilled the rivets.

2. Drilling the Rivets.
For me, this was the most difficult part, but I'm not an expert rivet driller . Set your exhaust on a clean surface and take care not to scrape or scratch the exhaust. Take your drill and bit set and start drilling out the rivets around the end cap. Mine had a tendency to spin after just before cutting all the way through. I used some needle-nose pliers to help bend them off. Be patient and careful as this step will determine how pro your exhaust looks. Mine had spin marks that I couldnt avoid, but it does not detract too much from the finished product. If there is a better way, please post it up.
Optional: My exhaust had road rash on the front cone, so I opted to remove it as well and rotated the rashed part toward the inside of the bike. Beware that the holes will not line up, so you will have to redrill some holes. Not a big deal. If the front cap is damaged badly enough, you may need to carefully persuade it off with a hammer and the end of a 2x4.

Drilling - I couldn't wait for my exhaust to cool down, so I did this step with it mounted, lolz.

3. The cut.
If you have access to a chop saw, use it! If not, I used a hacksaw and it turned out just fine. I cut the outer tube all the way around before cutting any deeper - the first cut will act as a guide for the deeper cuts. Below the aluminum is a layer of mesh and i suggest cutting all the way around that as well. After that there is one large pass through pipe, and one large and two small pipes that are not attached to the front of the muffler. Save yourself some time and examine the location of the big pipe in the pic below. The smaller pipes don't need to be cut, so avoid them.
Hacksaw users will need to find a way to steady the muffler as you cut - I laid two bags of horse feed over the exhaust to keep it steady.

Successful cut

4. Paint (optional).
I wanted to add an extra touch to my masterpiece, so I shot the just the can (not the cones) with 3 coats of high temp satin black. I suggest sanding/scuffing any painted surfaces (I didn't do that and my paint is brittle and easily scratched ).

5. Re-attaching Caps.
The last thing to be done is to re-attach the end caps. Simply mark and drill the locations for the rivets. Take your time marking and drilling to make sure all the holes line up for the rivets. I couldn't find rivets with the wide heads like the originals, so I just used what fit and it looks fine to me. Finally snap the rivets in, mount it on the bike and youre done!

Riveting

IMO its a thing of beauty and makes a wonderful noise. It cost me less than 20 bucks to make and kicks the crap out of buying an overpriced slip on. The bike definitely sounds more powerful and it returned 42mpg @ 80mph on the interstate, so I know the performance isn't hindered. Its huge upgrade from the nasty look and sound of a stocker and has the added perk of being able to use it as a horn for idiot drivers with the flick of a wrist .

So, if you have the tools (and the odds are most people do), I say go for it!!!

Mounted!
Luckyedboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
VALENCIA1
I eat my R6

Bike: 2001 R6
Send a message via Yahoo to VALENCIA1
Re: How to Shorten a Stock 03-05 R6 Exhaust

Looks really good nice job.
VALENCIA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
X-D-X
I eat my R6

Bike: 2007 R6S

The paint is a nice touch

2007 Yamaha R6S-
-Michelin Pilot Powers
-Modified Stock Exhaust
-K&N Air Filter
-GYTR Velocity Stacks
-Frame Sliders

The fun is just beginning...
X-D-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
lyestille
I eat my R6

looks good man
lyestille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
P71Ryan
I eat my R6

Bike: 2004 Yamaha R6
Send a message via AIM to P71Ryan

Awesome job, I have a D&D Slip On and was wondering what would happen if I did the same thing? Any thoughts/comments?

FaceBook | Xbox 360 GT: UnderCoverUZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel. View Post
My Q is, can I ride my r6 without the oil plug in it?
P71Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
zR6
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2003 Yamaha R6

Is a power commander recommended? I would really like a yamaha tech to answer this question for me.

I would think anytime you disrupt the amount of air flowing from the stock set up, a power commander would be needed.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Luckyedboy66
Stanly the Manly

Quote:
Originally Posted by zR6 View Post
Is a power commander recommended? I would really like a yamaha tech to answer this question for me.

I would think anytime you disrupt the amount of air flowing from the stock set up, a power commander would be needed.
Youre probably right, but the changes are so minimal that I haven't noticed any ill effects. Now when I had it straight piped, I could tell it was running rich and the performance was hindered (could not break 150mph straight piped). I would also like to know the answer to your Q from a Yamaha tech.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #8
zR6
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 2003 Yamaha R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyedboy66 View Post
Youre probably right, but the changes are so minimal that I haven't noticed any ill effects. Now when I had it straight piped, I could tell it was running rich and the performance was hindered (could not break 150mph straight piped). I would also like to know the answer to your Q from a Yamaha tech.
I wouldn't mind if I ran a bit rich but in this situation you would run a little lean, a lot lean with just a straight pipe... after awhile causing valves to burn up haha...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Luckyedboy66
Stanly the Manly

Quote:
Originally Posted by zR6 View Post
I wouldn't mind if I ran a bit rich but in this situation you would run a little lean, a lot lean with just a straight pipe... after awhile causing valves to burn up haha...
I stand corrected. I do remember the yamaha dealer saying it would do that...
Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 AM   #10
ser1992
My R6 eats me.

gaaawd i want to try this.. but i dont want to potentially mess up my bikes tune..
ser1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement