R6S front brake master cylinder replacement not pumpin strong enough on an 05 R6? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #1
menasan
My R6 eats me.

R6S front brake master cylinder replacement not pumpin strong enough on an 05 R6?

I would like to start out and say hello, new to forum. looks like the right place to get the help i need.

So i'm fixing my friend smashed 05 r6 delta box 3.

I replaced all the fairings, headlights, (non mechanical) etc no problem.

Now his R6 has a beefy brembo brake master clinder, which (has a bleeder on it) - the little plastic 90 degree pcv valve that goes to the reservoir - snapped -(dont know how, but it did in the crash) - simlar to this one

I did some research - you cant buy just that part gotta buy a whole new BMC

so he goes out and finds one of of an "05" R6-S for 40 bucks. thing looks puny. no bleeder on top. looks pretty much like a straight cheap one off of ebay - the bolt thats in it is designed for 2 banjo bolts and his stock one is just 1

anyway - it bolts up fine, swap out the banjo bolt for the 1. reconnect - fill it up and start the bleeding process.

start... there is nooooo pressure in that thing. I read the thread on here bout how you gotta squeeze it for ever to get the air bubbles out etc and did.. the brake fluid isn't even getting down to the calliper bleeders to come out.

so - if you read all this i thank you. and here is my question

1. can you swap out a pcv valve on a BMC? - so he could use his stock one and just fix that broken part.

2. - will the "R6s" (i dont think it is even from an yamaha) bmc work on an R6 pressure wise? - and if so does the one he got sound broken?

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0630001217.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	491.9 KB
ID:	47974  

Last edited by menasan; 07-07-2010 at 12:18 PM.
menasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
8Ball
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, V-Star
Re: R6S front brake master cylinder replacement not pumpin strong enough on an 05 R6?

I know that the R6S is the same as the Kawi ZX6R and you can order the piece from Kawisaki. The 2005 Brembo is similar to the GSX-R750. Here is a link for that, and that part is called out:
http://oemparts.buymotorcycleparts.c...=13&A=400&B=62

Or you can take the MC to a Suzuki dealer and see if they have one to compare.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
8Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #3
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: R6S front brake master cylinder replacement not pumpin strong enough on an 05 R6?

On the factory MC that you are unable to bleed fully, the problem is most likely that you need to bleed the MC itself. Since there is no bleeder, you use the banjo bolt as a bleeder. I pulled my hair out forever over this and then found a thread mentioning this, and voila. Perfect awesome brakes..

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
menasan
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
I know that the R6S is the same as the Kawi ZX6R and you can order the piece from Kawisaki. The 2005 Brembo is similar to the GSX-R750. Here is a link for that, and that part is called out:
http://oemparts.buymotorcycleparts.c...=13&A=400&B=62

Or you can take the MC to a Suzuki dealer and see if they have one to compare.
so you think part number 5 on that diagram can be swapped in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
On the factory MC that you are unable to bleed fully, the problem is most likely that you need to bleed the MC itself. Since there is no bleeder, you use the banjo bolt as a bleeder. I pulled my hair out forever over this and then found a thread mentioning this, and voila. Perfect awesome brakes..
yeah i found that thread and tried bleeding with the banjo bolt - it just seems like the MC isn't sucking in any BF from the reservoir
Old 07-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
8Ball
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, V-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by menasan View Post
so you think part number 5 on that diagram can be swapped in?
It's probably worth a trip to the Suzuki dear with the broken one and the MC to find out. They are pretty standard fittings.

As far as the MC that you are trying to install...Sometimes it takes a while to get the MC bled so that it will work. It may take a few tries without a vacuum pump like the MightyVac. However, I have a feeling that the volume of fliud in the R6S vs. the 05 R6 brake systems are different so that the S MC may not be able to move enough fluid. Can you get pressure with a few pumps? I believe the surface area of the MC piston is smaller on the S, as well which would change the mechanical advantage properties of the brake lever. But you still should be able to pump it up. And if there is enough volume moved to get a good lever feel (with one squeeze)with the R6S MC, the brakes may still feel a little "wooden".

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
8Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
menasan
My R6 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Ball View Post
It's probably worth a trip to the Suzuki dear with the broken one and the MC to find out. They are pretty standard fittings.

As far as the MC that you are trying to install...Sometimes it takes a while to get the MC bled so that it will work. It may take a few tries without a vacuum pump like the MightyVac. However, I have a feeling that the volume of fliud in the R6S vs. the 05 R6 brake systems are different so that the S MC may not be able to move enough fluid. Can you get pressure with a few pumps? I believe the surface area of the MC piston is smaller on the S, as well which would change the mechanical advantage properties of the brake lever. But you still should be able to pump it up. And if there is enough volume moved to get a good lever feel (with one squeeze)with the R6S MC, the brakes may still feel a little "wooden".

sounds like a plan.

yeah i feel like when i first swapped on the r6s bmc and tried to bleed it - i was only shooting the old brake fluid out of the lines.

off to the dealer i go. or actually.. off to the dealer he goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement