bike wont start, makes clicking sound : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 08-10-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Tefflon
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 2003 Yamaha R6
Send a message via AIM to Tefflon
bike wont start, makes clicking sound

So, my battery went dead and will not hold a charge. I purchased a new battery and installed it and the solenoid behind the battery clicked fast and still no ignition. Upon pop starting the bike, it ran fine until sitting at idle then the lights would dim and the engine would begin to cut out until the bike was revved. The only thing i can think of is it would be the stater, is this a fair assumption? or is it going to be an even bigger cost to fix ? I have a big ride coming this weekend and would like to get it fixed as fast as possible. thanks guys
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2010, 07:42 PM   #2
blue03r6
doing your fat girlfriend

Bike: 03 R6
Re: bike wont start, makes clicking sound

new batteries have to be charged. especially the ones you add the acid to yourself.
blue03r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
blue07r6r
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 07 R6

is the motor turning over?
blue07r6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
Tefflon
My R6 eats me.

negative, it will barely try to turn over. and not even fast. it will pop start with ease. and the lights still dim when it's idling but not much. I charged the battery for 5 hours (and you dont have to add acid to it) and still nothing. I also tried jumping to solenoid and that didnt do anything. I'm thinking if all the guages light up when i turn to key to on, and when i rev the bike the lights brighten doesnt that mean the stater is working and the problem is with the starter ?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
8Ball
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, V-Star

The stator sounds like it is working. It sounds like you have a bad diode or regulator in the reg/rectifier. It could also be a burnt connection to the reg/rect. Check the wiring in the plug.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
8Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
blue07r6r
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 07 R6

Check the battery with a multimeter and if the volts are good I would say it would be the starter
blue07r6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:22 AM   #7
cheefar6
clit commander

Bike: 2008 YZF-R6

Sounds to me like you just have wirewing issue, especially if your not throwing any codes. I would make sure your ground is good for the battery, then also check the voltage regulator rectifier plug as someone stated above ^^

Scrape/clean off all corrosion on any connection and cover it with dielectric grease. When i went over my bike i was amazed at the amound of corrosion on A LOT of the connections.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Tefflon
My R6 eats me.

okay, So I checked the battery with a volt meter and it's reading 13v between the terminals and the same on the solenoid. When the engine is revved to 4000rpm the volt meter will read 17v. I inspected the regulator and there are no signs of shortage or corrosion. Although, i did clean the connections and used electric grease upon reconnecting. the result is still the same. The bike will pop start with ease but nothing happens when the ignition switch is hit. Oh, the check engine light will come on and the lights will dim when the bike idles, as soon as it's revved up, the lights brighten and the light goes off. So, what do I do next guys ? Also, does anyone have the number in volts I need to test the Stater and the Starter ?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
blue03r6
doing your fat girlfriend

Bike: 03 R6

the voltage at the battery with the engine running shouldn't be over 14.5 volts. your regulator is ****ed up.

in the tech section of the r6messagenet.com they have the service manuals for download. it has all of the info you need in it.

Last edited by blue03r6; 08-11-2010 at 03:28 PM.
blue03r6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
cheefar6
clit commander

Bike: 2008 YZF-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue03r6 View Post
the voltage at the battery with the engine running shouldn't be over 14.5 volts. your regulator is ****ed up.

in the tech section of the r6messagenet.com they have the service manuals for download. it has all of the info you need in it.
^^ definately your voltage regulator . fix it before you fry your ecu (dont quote me on that ive read somewhere this COULD possibly happen and i take what i read on internet to heart )