Graves Progessive throttle tube... : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
ChampR6
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 Yamaha Blue R6
Graves Progessive throttle tube...

I was searching threw their website and i came across this..has any one on here used this on their personal bike or knows anyone that has?

http://www.gravesport.com/Graves-Mot...ttle-Tube.html

I also found a video of how the part would be..has me wondering if this would be nice to have on my bike that i use for track and street or just track..anyone know?

MotoDynamic Integrated TL
Custom fender elminator
Vortex spools
Leo Vince SBK Evo II
PCV
AGG plates
ChampR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
bongo
2008 R6, SS600

Bike: 08 R6, FIM S-stock spec.
Re: Graves Progessive throttle tube...

You are SHITTING me!!! Look at the price! It's a piece of plastic. I wouldn't have it purely on principle...

It would just give a soft delivery from closed throttle and would obviously ramp up the further you went. Possibly more for a newer rider wanting to get power down 'quicker' whilst remaining safe to the feel when applying power at full lean early in an exit.

To me, this is the part of the corner where laptimes are made though, so i'd rather have a consistently opening throttle with a round tube, in a quick action throttle. I use the Robby Moto when i use a quick action throttle, it comes with different options and is about as good as you'll get, no plastic, all metal.

Just my view. It's scandalously expensive for what it is!

Bongo

WWW.BONGO177.COM
www.facebook.com/bongo177
bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Fallis
Meh

Bike: 05 R6 Track, 09 R1, Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Look at the price! It's a piece of plastic.
I thought he said it was aluminum... Still pricey though.
Fallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #4
redisdeadrideblue
Official Noob Greeter

Bike: some stupid ones

Yeah, this is another one of those graves parts that are just a tad high in the price dept...
redisdeadrideblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
Agg2001
Original Member-Vendor

Bike: 2007 R6, 2005 CRF250r
Send a message via AIM to Agg2001 Send a message via MSN to Agg2001 Send a message via Yahoo to Agg2001

throttle kits are ~$125 shipped. this does the same thing and you don't have to fiddle with the throttle cable. not sure it's worth $125, but ~$80, maybe. progressive is probably the best of both worlds

High-end, AFFORDABLE, parts and accessories for your bike!

ALWAYS free shipping to the USA, with 1-3 day delivery times.

Agg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
danaatscootdotnet
www.1seven1.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Yeah, this is another one of those graves parts that are just a tad high in the price dept...
It's one of those homologated parts, I'm sure. Super-expensive to get homologation approval, plus you don't want all your competition with one.

I've got a Motion-Pro throttle and I LOVE it!

-D
Old 02-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
ChampR6
I eat my R6

Bike: 2009 Yamaha Blue R6

thanks everyone for the inputs i just wanted to know what you guys thought of this..this is the first time hearing about this mod to me
MotoDynamic Integrated TL
Custom fender elminator
Vortex spools
Leo Vince SBK Evo II
PCV
AGG plates
ChampR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
luke geis
crashing aint so bad

Bike: 2005 red r6

In any class of racing your allowed to alter the throttle housing and respective throttle tube. Graves is smoking some serious stuff selling that thing at that price. You can get throttle tubes from Motion Pro for $20 bucks that are progressive. Just not for an R1, or R6. In either case I can also buy an entire throttle kit for this price that comes with 3 different cams to get the ratio I want. That thing is made of plastic even. The bean counters at graves or , graves in general are full of themselves for pulling that crap. I realize that they do R&D for predominately Yamaha products, but that is no excuse to charge ridiculous amounts of money for a relatively inexpensive part. There has to be a 500% mark up on that thing. There is no way you can convince me it cost a ton of money to create that cam profile.

I took a stock throttle and created a progressive cam on it too. I used zip ties that I bonded to the throttle tube. I shaved the back side for the return line much like the pic of the Graves unit. Mine is about a 1/5 throttle ratio and is set up to ramp up in the middle of it's travel. Mine is set up for an easy onset, then aggressive in the middle and then smooths out as the throttle is nearly full open. Mine also fits in the stock housing. Where it looks as if graves is set up to ramp up after the throttle is opened a little and is aggressive all the way. The graves design is great for those that like to get to full throttle, like right now. There is nothing wrong with the graves design, but I feel it's too expensive for what it is. Mine cost me about 2 hours of work and a couple bucks in zip ties and super glue.

All you have to do to make your own custom throttle tube cam is get a few of the medium sized zip ties and glue them to the throttle tube. I suggest using plastic model glue to permanently bond the plastics together. Then build the zip ties up with the zip side out ( so the cable can run in the grove ) and create your desired profile. I cut under the the boss for the pull side cable so I could fit a zip tie to get it closer to the start of the cables pull. I then layered that zip tie over two others that created the profile I wanted. The center zip tie was the shortest and the outside zip tie was the longest. The first zip tie laid down went up against the cable boss and to about half the cams circumference. The outside zip tie went into the slot I cut in the cable boss to go over the end of the first zip tie starting the cam profile. The second zip tie ramps it up even more in the middle and then tapers back again at the end. You can do a two zip tie version as well where the outside zip tie goes over the first one to create a more subdued profile. You will have to grind out a couple of tabs inside of the throttle housing in order for a three tie cam to fit. The beauty of the zip ties is that you can grind them down to any desired profile once they are in place. It's also not a big deal if you want to start over. Just grind them off and redo the zip tie layout to your desired cam profile. Here is a crappy windows paint of how I did it:

As you can see with a little ingenuity you can easily come up with any profile you desire. I choose one that started off mild and then went aggressive and tapered back again towards the end. You can make one that is straight rate by simply making the cam bigger in circumference. or you can make one like the graves unit that is pretty much all or nothing. The Graves profile is very aggressive and will be very twitchy with part throttle applications since a little input equals a very large throttle cable movement. Their profile also looks to be a 1/6 throttle cam. Which means a very short twist from closed to full open. I'm not certain as to the exact profile and ratio of the graves, but that is what it looks like to me.

I decided to make my own after having purchased a throttle kit. The different ratios were nice but I wanted something more. I decided that I would be crafty and give it a shot. It took a couple of tries to get what I wanted, but once I nailed it down and got the return and pull cables adjusted properly I never looked back. It's been 2 years and the cam that I am using is still together and working just as I want it to. I replaced the stock throttle set up on my 05 with the stock housing from an 06 R6 and then custom made throttle cables to fit the change. I now have a custom contoured cam that is 1/5 ratio.

Last edited by luke geis; 02-18-2011 at 05:20 PM.
luke geis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
snowbizx
I eat my R6

Bike: '08 R6

i use a euro racing throttle from yoyodyne and love it. i might kill myself one of these days, but i don't run a return cable so the thing snaps back like a mouse trap

the bad part about alum is that it can bend in a crash and mess up the action. that's why i picked up a spare tube from yoyo for dirt cheap... but if you're using the graves piece, you're out of a million bucks.

snowbizx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
evomach
My R6 eats me.

Though it may be overpriced for what it accomplishes, it's not really overpriced for the part. It's machined out of aluminum and I know that part takes more to machine than the clip-ons people are buying for $150+ a set. Then when you figure in the low qty being produced and sold they have to price it higher
evomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement