Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

How to Evotech 1/4th turn gas cap

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Powerstroke87 
#1 · (Edited)
Special thanks to powerstroke and stealthchain for help and pictures. I'll be using mostly their pictures since I forgot to take pictures during my install. I forgot because I was struggling with one of the bolts. It basically got stuck and it won't come out. It won't tighten or loosen it's just half way in there. If anyone knows how to get that out let me know.

I tried asking motomummy how to do this but they were not helpful at all. I sent emails asking him questions and he responded with one sentence while not fully answering my questions. he didn't know if the gasket needed to be cut or not. or which hole the yellow hose goes through. r6 forum helped out a lot more. Not that it was that hard, it just might be confusing since the instructions are pretty bad.

1. remove gas cap by taking out the 5 bolts at the top with an allan wrench.
this picture is from a different thread.

3 of them are long bolts, the other two are just aesthetic ones that don't do anything

2. there is another bolt inside

don't drop it inside the tank..

3. take the gas cap out and remove the black rubber gasket and the orange rubber thing. you won't need the orange thing.

4. the big black rubber gasket will need to be cut to fit the evotech gas cap. powerstroke and i have the 06/07 r6 and we needed to cut ours. stealthchain said he didn't need to cut his but he has an 08 so that may be why. evotech supplies a black gasket but you will need that one too. it's obvious where the evotech one goes.

5. here is an example of the cut gasket. just keep checking the areas that are blocking a perfect fit and you'll be fine. used a box cutter to cut it. be careful, rubber is strong and slippery.

6. here's a part that we never really got figured out but i have it narrowed down at least.

the hole at 6:00 is where stealth chain put his yellow hose through
the hole at 9:00~10:00 is where powerstroke put his yellow hose through
i put mine at 9~10 also because it was a lot easier and fit right away.

i found out that one of these holes leads into the tank to vent and the other hole leads to a hose that drains at the bottom of your bike. i'm not sure which hole does what so if someone can clarify that can be awesome.

*alternate route if you want to put it through the 6:00 hole that stealth chain put it through, here is an example

7. vent the yellow hose into one of these holes and make sure the hose doesn't pinch anywhere or the air wont go through. to make sure the air is going through you can just blow air through the yellow hose. you shouldnt need to cut the hose because the holes have respective piping going through the tank so the hose wont touch gasoline. stealthchain cut his just in case but either way should be fine. here is an example of carefully placing it so it won't pinch or get in the way

8. then just fit the evotech gasket in, then the oem gasket. put the gas cap in and tighten the bolts. now you're good to go!

See less See more
#4 ·
Hopefully doing this soon!!! Looks good man!!!

#5 ·
Wow, this totally solved my issue with the gas fumes.....
Thank God I found this before I flipped the bike.
It would have burned to the ground!

Nice write up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.