False Neutrals at the track : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Track Tech & Riding Techniques

Old 10-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
EnigmatikR6
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2007 R6
False Neutrals at the track

So I did a trackday this weekend, and had a couple instances where I went int a false neutral. I have sato rearsets with reverse shifting, and have had no issues with it before. It happened a couple times when I was downshifting, and I actually ran off the track once. I would say I'm pretty proficient in blipping the throttle (although I have to admit I haven't rode my bike since the last trackday which was about 2 months ago). Do any of you guys have any recommendations as to what might be causing this problem, besides human error? (maybe i wasn't pressing up the shifter all the way, etc.) I just want to make sure it's not a mechanical problem. Any advice or insight would be great.
EnigmatikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 07:24 AM   #2
ChiefSmokeDawg
Parts Pimp

Bike: 2002 R6, 2008 R6
Re: False Neutrals at the track

Adjust the linkage so it throws further when you make the shift. You probably got tired, fatigued and lazy about it and didn't pull up enough..

My 02 Thread My 08 Thread
RIP BALLISTIK: We miss you Ricky!!!
Ask about:-STAHLBUS- -WOODCRAFT- -MOTUL- -FERODO- -BRAKE TECH- -BMC- -Battery Tender-LEO VINCE- -XT-RACING- -NGK- -SUOMY- -EBC- -Pro-Grip- -Canyon Dancer-
ChiefSmokeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
mx3TT
Super Mod

Bike: 05 R6
Send a message via AIM to mx3TT

I tend to get them here and there as well on my 05. I THINK its when I am down shifting a couple gears and i dont let off fully between each down shift but not really sure. They always tell you to shift UP when you get into a false neutral but I always seem to kick down again haha. I have had a couple sideways moments from that

RED 2005 R6
Racefit Growler - Solo Exhaust Bracket - Lockhart Phillips No Cut Carbon Fiber Frame Sliders - Lockhart Phillips Carbon Fiber Swingarm Sliders - Puig Tinted Double Bubble Windscreen - Pirelli Diablo DRC - BMC Air Filter - Shift Shaft Support - Dyno Jet Power Commander 3 USB - Yamaha Factory Seat Cowl - Factory Pro +4 Ignition Advancer - Graves Slide Stops - 520 Conversion(-1,+2) AFAM/DIDERV3 - Graves Smog Block Off Plates - Speedo Healer - GPR Steering Damper - Dyno Jet Quick Shifter
mx3TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
cheefar6
clit commander

Bike: 2008 YZF-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSmokeDawg View Post
Adjust the linkage so it throws further when you make the shift. You probably got tired, fatigued and lazy about it and didn't pull up enough..
i actually wrecked last weekend because of a flase neutral shifting from 4th gear to 3rd mid turn.
im certain i just lazily pushed up on the lever (also running gp shift) and just didnt get it forced into gear properly.
Will NOT make that mistake again, could have cost me more then some bike parts and bruises..
walking around the track talking with people, it seems a LOT more r6 owners have coimplaints about it than any other bike. probably just coincidence since when they asked what bike i would say r6 and then id get "the ohhh yea i hear r6 are very common for that..."
cheefar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
ramm
Derp

I had my first false neutral this year. Going into a high speed entrance/Very slow corner. Went from 4th to neutral. Luckily, I remember reading that instead of trying to down shift, upshift. Saved my ass.
ramm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:46 AM   #6
derffred
=]

Bike: 2007 Candy Red R6
Send a message via AIM to derffred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm View Post
I had my first false neutral this year. Going into a high speed entrance/Very slow corner. Went from 4th to neutral. Luckily, I remember reading that instead of trying to down shift, upshift. Saved my ass.
Nice tip I'm sure everyone's reaction is to reattempt the shift, whether it's up or down. I'll keep that in mind to always keep it up

Upgrades List
Facebook <- Add me

RIP BallistiK
derffred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
ramm
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by derffred View Post
Nice tip I'm sure everyone's reaction is to reattempt the shift, whether it's up or down. I'll keep that in mind to always keep it up
Yep, my instincts told me to keep trying to go the direction I was going (downshifting). But my brain remembered reading to upshift. I actually think I read that here somewhere.

And reason for my false neutral was pussy-footing it. It was a later session and I was a little tired. I think most false neutrals are due to that instead of something mechanical on the bike.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
cheefar6
clit commander

Bike: 2008 YZF-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramm View Post
Yep, my instincts told me to keep trying to go the direction I was going (downshifting). But my brain remembered reading to upshift. I actually think I read that here somewhere.

And reason for my false neutral was pussy-footing it. It was a later session and I was a little tired. I think most false neutrals are due to that instead of something mechanical on the bike.
yea my first thought was issues with the transmission, i remember the last thing that happened was hearing a clunk when i dropped into 3rd, then i heard nothing but rev limiter, i looked down for the green light but it wasnt there,, then i was airborne.
since then ive already started the bike and ran through the gears, all is good, no issues at all.
good to know if that happens again to just upshift..
cheefar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:26 AM   #9
EnigmatikR6
Lifetime Premium

Thanks guys for all the input! I'm sure it was a lazy shift on my part. So if this ever happens again, I should upshift to a higher gear? I just want to make sure I save my ass and my bike!
EnigmatikR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #10
ramm
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmatikR6 View Post
Thanks guys for all the input! I'm sure it was a lazy shift on my part. So if this ever happens again, I should upshift to a higher gear? I just want to make sure I save my ass and my bike!
Yep, upshift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement