Abdominal protection : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Safety Equipment

Old 02-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
ultraman
I eat my R6

Bike: R6 2009
Exclamation Abdominal protection

I am very much safety orientated when i get on my r6 and wouldn't even consider putting a leg over it without the bare minimum of gear which is for me:

full leathers + back and chest protectors + helmet + gloves + boots

or id wear all of the above except leather pants and use kevlar jeans with knee protectors underneath instead.

I also often ride with my airbag dps vest by spidi

But i still feel there is a lack of protection in the abdominal area, no protection from impalement or anything like that and seeing as its a crucial area containing lots of organs it would seem only sensible to protect it with more than leather!

Any ideas?

350Z 2006 (Azure GT - Remapped, Plenum Spacer, Performance Friction Discs, Ferodo Pads DS2500, Braided Lines, HKS Plugs, HKS Filter, MREV2)

Yamaha R6 2009 imported from usa - (R&G Crash Protection - Upper Bungs,Lower Bungs,Cotton Reels, Bar Ends, Fork Protectors), hot-bodies rear tail, Carbon Rear Hugger, Carbon side tank, Carbon Upper covers, Carbon Front mudguard, HEL braided Lines, PCV, MJS headers & mid pipe, M4 carbon slip on, power commander V, Sprint Steering damper, Puig Double Bubble, running Michelin pilot power 3's.

Yamaha R6 2011 (R&G Crash Protection - Upper Bungs,Lower Bungs,Cotton Reels, Bar Ends, Fork Protectors, Exhaust Slider, Tail Tidy) - STOLEN AS OF 02/12/11 - NOT FORGOTTEN
ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
Eric10301
I eat my R6

Bike: 08 R6 Track Bike
Re: Abdominal protection

Where do you go wearing all that? I'm all for proper protection but there comes a point where you go from due diligence to paranoia heh.
Eric10301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
ultraman
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10301 View Post
Where do you go wearing all that? I'm all for proper protection but there comes a point where you go from due diligence to paranoia heh.
anywhere and everywhere... what so difficult about putting the following on... i dont even notice any of it is there!

that ^ just straps up over your top and your good to go... jacket, kevlar jeans, helmet and boots are pretty much standard...

if you have ever come off and hurt yourself youll know why i wear the above...

350Z 2006 (Azure GT - Remapped, Plenum Spacer, Performance Friction Discs, Ferodo Pads DS2500, Braided Lines, HKS Plugs, HKS Filter, MREV2)

Yamaha R6 2009 imported from usa - (R&G Crash Protection - Upper Bungs,Lower Bungs,Cotton Reels, Bar Ends, Fork Protectors), hot-bodies rear tail, Carbon Rear Hugger, Carbon side tank, Carbon Upper covers, Carbon Front mudguard, HEL braided Lines, PCV, MJS headers & mid pipe, M4 carbon slip on, power commander V, Sprint Steering damper, Puig Double Bubble, running Michelin pilot power 3's.

Yamaha R6 2011 (R&G Crash Protection - Upper Bungs,Lower Bungs,Cotton Reels, Bar Ends, Fork Protectors, Exhaust Slider, Tail Tidy) - STOLEN AS OF 02/12/11 - NOT FORGOTTEN
Old 02-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
Mach1ne
if u read this u are gay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman View Post
no protection from impalement or anything like that and seeing as its a crucial area containing lots of organs it would seem only sensible to protect it with more than leather!

Any ideas?
Tuck and roll before you hit.

J/k, going down hurts. Probably gonna get a vest myself
Mach1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
billyfolk
I eat my R6

My tummy isnt protected, But dressing for the crash is the way to go. i bought a leatte stx neck brace recently to go with my chest,back,leg,arm,and forcefield action shorts (i shit you not), protectors. whats the certification of that vest ?
billyfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
ultraman
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyfolk View Post
My tummy isnt protected, But dressing for the crash is the way to go. i bought a leatte stx neck brace recently to go with my chest,back,leg,arm,and forcefield action shorts (i shit you not), protectors. whats the certification of that vest ?
the spidi defender is CE 2 certified

it sounds like you have the same idea as me... well done for being safety conscious!

i was going to go for the neck brace but decided against it, ive got a spidi neck dps vest instead, so i get all the movement and comfort as usual and if anything goes wrong, the airbag sets off, top notch stuff!

the vulnerable areas i am most concerned about now are tummy/abdominal and hips... they say a strike to the hips is often what causes back injuries and not direct hits to the spine because it is twisting of the spine that causes the bad injuries!

Old 02-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
STAT
R64LIFE

Bike: 2006 50th Anny

thats how i roll

jk dude. Ive been down and have the scars to prove it. Safety gear is no joke

Last edited by STAT; 02-14-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: spelling
STAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
billyfolk
I eat my R6

stat does that come in a 46 large? with a 1/4 cuff ?
billyfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #9
moser
I eat my R6

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Had a pretty bad get off riding moto the other day and i lacerated my liver. Laying in the hospital bed right now recovering from surgery
moser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
gotthefeelin
Premium Member

Bike: Pos

I run my knox back and chest protector. Honestly any lower and it would restrict too much movement.
gotthefeelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement