How to remove ignition : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Garage / Mechanical Help

Old 04-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
IamFace
My R6 eats me.

Bike: 05 R6
Angry How to remove ignition

Hey all,
I have seemed to misplaced my (only) key to my 05 R6. Which of course pisses me off because it's ever either in my bike (riding), in my pocket (not riding) or on my night stand. Some how I have lost it and need to get a replacement.
I called a locksmith that carries a blank key, and they said I either need to bring the bike in, or the ignition in and they can make a new one.
My handlebars are locked, so trying to move it onto a trailer and haul it to them will be a hassle, but I'm afraid removing the ignition to take to them will be as well. Does anyone have any advice on which would be easier, and if it's removing the ignition, how I should go about doing so? I'm no mechanic, so the thought of tearing into my bike scares me, but if that's ultimately easier I'll do that.
Thanks for the advice
IamFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
JTolles
It's pronounced "Tollz"

Bike: 2007 R6, 2009 DRZ400SM
Send a message via AIM to JTolles
Re: How to remove ignition

You can't exactly remove the ignition with the steering pin locked. And even when it's unlocked it's a bitch to remove from the triple. Best thing is figure out a way to remove the top triple from the forks and take that whole mess in without drilling out the ignition assembly. And I doubt there's a way to do that.

But, good luck

06-07 Street Parts here!!!!
JTolles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Illernoise
RESPECT

08 R6 Track Build

RIP Jason Jones - snocompton
RESPECT
Illernoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
cheefar6
clit commander

Bike: 2008 YZF-R6

I think your gonna need to break the lock pin in the ignition, just put your weiht on it its easy to break the pin/aluminium tab whatevwr gives way first. Then remove triple tree, drill off the bolt heads holding the ignition and go keyless lol. Don't see another way other than having a key made for alotta $$$
If u goto the locksmith, remove your gas cap and bring him that, same lock.

If u just gotta move it just snap the lock pin and u can move it, then bump start it after turning ignition to on with screw driver. I've seen a guy running this set up at the tracj lol, took him 5-10 min everytime to turn ignition with screwdriver... but it worked on an 09r6 ..

Last edited by cheefar6; 04-21-2012 at 08:03 AM.
cheefar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement