Radiator Guard "How To" : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > How To's...

Old 05-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #1
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

Bike: 2012 R6
Radiator Guard "How To"

Well, I went ahead and made my own radiator guard.....I wanted to buy an already made one but I had some time on my hands....and so it began.

1.- You will need aluminum screen, can be bought at Home Depot/Orchard Supply Hardware.
-You will also need zip ties (I used 15), make sure they are the re-useable ones...they are easier to remove if you need to clean the guard or need access to the radiator.
-Weather stripping. I bought the double sided with adhesive on them.
-and some tools/entertainment that you may need....beer, music, and some snips to cut the excess zip ties.

2. You will need to remove the bottom fairings, splash covers under the nose, and the radiator overflow bottle. You can remove the front fender if you like...to avoid scratching it, but itís not necessary.

NOTE: BEFORE YOU PROCEED TO INSTALLING THE GUARD....CLEAN YOUR RADIATOR SO ITS FREE OF BUGS/SHIT WITH A TOOTH BRUSH OR SOFT BRUSH...BE CAREFULL NOT TO DAMAGE THE FINS>

3.You will need to cut the mesh down to size....I cut mine to 14"wide and 11" high....this will give you just the right amount to be able to fold the edges inward.

4. Once the mesh is cut and edges are folded inward (about half an inch) you can cut the strips of weather stripping to size (these are used so that the mesh does not rub on the radiator edges and it spaces the mesh between the radiator fins so as to not damage them) Center the weather stripping on the edges and fold them like a taco...then take three zip ties placing one on each end and one in the center, gives the weather stripping support.

5.Once all that is done...use your rear tire (I have a 180) and center the mesh on it....then press the mesh into shape by pressing it unto the tires shape...this gives it just the right curvature....worked perfect for me, lol..

6. Once that is done..."dry" fit the guard on the radiator and makes sure all is well....the left/right edges should butt right up against the foam that is on the edges of the radiator.

7. On the top right/left sides of the radiator...there are holes that you can feed a zip tie through...use these as anchoring points....I did not take a pic of these "holes" but you'll notice them right away....if not..Iíll take pics, lol. For the bottom...you only need one zip tie at the bottom center...loop the zip tie around the bracket that the radiator is attached to. BEFORE YOU ZIP TIE THE BOTTOM....PEEK UNDER AND MAKE SURE THE GUARD IS NOT BRUSHING ON THE RADIATOR FINS....THERE SHOULD BE AT LEAST HALF AN INCH OF CLEARANCE.

8. Once its all zip tied and perfect...YOURE DONE!!!! Put everything back together and youre set to go.

bluerebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
ErikTaylor
Dont be so picky. I wasnt

Bike: 06 R1
Send a message via AIM to ErikTaylor
Re: Radiator Guard "How To"

What's the cost to do this? It looks like it's going to be a couple of rainy days ahead, so this could eat up some time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
So your question was what should you use as an indicator of the oil level instead of the thing that exists solely to indicate the level of oil?
R6- Gone
R1 Now
ErikTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
ErikTaylor
Dont be so picky. I wasnt

Bike: 06 R1
Send a message via AIM to ErikTaylor

Forgot to mention awesome idea and work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
So your question was what should you use as an indicator of the oil level instead of the thing that exists solely to indicate the level of oil?
R6- Gone
R1 Now
ErikTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #4
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

Shit, can't remember lol

I had most of the stuff but assuming you need to buy everything.....maybe less than $25.

let us know how it goes bro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com App

Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
r6_raven_MD
I eat my R6

is it just me? How does that actually help with guarding a radiator? if a rock gets picked up by the car in front of you, which will be at about 70mph coming toward you and you're going 55 mph (let's just say), the amount of impact/energy transfer will go through that thing (not literally, but the energy will push through, since there are no structural barrier in the middle) and still damage the radiator. I would think that guard would actually take away from the radiators function.

I'm just saying this, because if there was an issue with the radiator being destroyed, I would think Yamaha would of taken steps to guard the radiator to make sure they don't have a classic action law suit.

just sayin'
r6_raven_MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #6
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6_raven_MD View Post
is it just me? How does that actually help with guarding a radiator? if a rock gets picked up by the car in front of you, which will be at about 70mph coming toward you and you're going 55 mph (let's just say), the amount of impact/energy transfer will go through that thing (not literally, but the energy will push through, since there are no structural barrier in the middle) and still damage the radiator. I would think that guard would actually take away from the radiators function.

I'm just saying this, because if there was an issue with the radiator being destroyed, I would think Yamaha would of taken steps to guard the radiator to make sure they don't have a classic action law suit.

just sayin'
1. How long have you been riding for?

2. Your point about yamaha not providing a guard from the factory is invalid. Dirt bikes used to come without a guard and now they are standard equipment. My point, your radiator can and proably will get a puncture from a rock/debri.

3. The guard is intended to REDUCE the chance of damaging the radiator from debri....nobody ever claimed it was a 100% gurantee of protection.

4. Another benefit of a guard ....when youre working on your front wheel or infront of the radiator....helps prevent accidental damage to the radiator....mine has saved me a few times from my front stand hitting the radiator...if my guard wasn't there...id have a nice dent in my radiator fins.

....just saying.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
SGT-CHAOS
USMC-Semper Fi!

Bike: 08 R6 Yellow w/flames

Cool little how to, not a bad idea, I guess it can come in handy. Don't mind the trolls, they don't contribute at all but always have something to hate about...

Good job man.

The Sergeant-

Last edited by SGT-CHAOS; 09-08-2012 at 07:22 PM.
SGT-CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT-CHAOS View Post
Cool little how to, not a bad idea, I guess it can come in handy. Don't mind the trolls, they don't contribute at all but always have something to hate about...

Good job man.

The Sergeant-
I made it and it fit perfect but I really didn't want to take shortcuts on my bike....its a budget guard but I opted out and picked up the COX guard from a member....love it so far.

Id recommend the COX for your bike sarge...its a good looking bike so don't cheap out on it bro.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

I now use it to place screws, bolts, or bits and pieces I don't want rolling around the floor when I'm working on my bike.

If anyone wants the one I made....pay for shipping and throw in $10 and its yours.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
SGT-CHAOS
USMC-Semper Fi!

Bike: 08 R6 Yellow w/flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerebel View Post
I made it and it fit perfect but I really didn't want to take shortcuts on my bike....its a budget guard but I opted out and picked up the COX guard from a member....love it so far.

Id recommend the COX for your bike sarge...its a good looking bike so don't cheap out on it bro.

Oh cool man, thanks a lot. You're bike is awesome too man, I love the Sherman sig on the fender, I really like his sig for some reason, I just got his levers in today, but it came with a white sig, so it would throw off my colors, told Sherman I needed a black one and he said he would make it happen, so Im looking forward to putting his sig under the tail.

But I will look into the COX, seems like something good to have, we spend all this money on mods, we should protect our investments everywhere we can. It'll look something like this Im guessing...

Exactly like yours pretty much. You did good man, you did good.

I'll post it once I get this done. Thanks bro.

The Sergeant-

Last edited by SGT-CHAOS; 09-08-2012 at 07:43 PM.
SGT-CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement