How To: Brake Fluid Bleed : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > How To's...

Old 06-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
chuck_brimley
bacon...

Bike: 05 R6
How To: Brake Fluid Bleed

This is ridiculously easy and straight-forward. I did a search on brake fluid and noticed there were no how-to's w/images and a lot of silly questions from new people. Feel free to correct me on anything below and I'll make updates. This is the cheapest way I can figure out to do it.

What you'll need:
  • New DOT4 brake fluid (duh)
  • 8 mm box head wrench
  • About 4 ft of 1/4" OD, clear plastic tubing that fits over the bleeder nipple.
  • Needle nose pliers to stretch the plastic tubing out
  • Container for the old brake fluid. My state allows us to mix brake fluid and oil together and take it to an auto parts store for recycling. It's separated at the recycling plant.
  • Newspaper and masking tape
  • Paper towels and a little bit of water in case you drip brake fluid
  • Philips screw driver

Front Brakes

1. Surround the brake fluid reservoir with newspaper and use masking tape or painter's tape to hold everything together. Brake fluid will strip the paint off your plastics. Keep a paper towel with water or glass cleaner nearby in case you spill.
2. Use a Philips screw driver to loosen the metal piece holding down the cap on the fluid reservoir and take the cap off. Place the removed cap and the reservoir bladder on some newspaper.
3. Remove the rubber cap over the bleeder nipple on the master cylinder.

4. Put the box head wrench on the bleeder screw. Attach the clear plastic tubing over the top of the bleeder screw to create a strong seal and put the other end in the collection container. If the tubing doesn't fit over the top of the screw, use a needle nose pliers to stretch the tubing out and try again. You're now ready to bleed.
5. Loosen the bleeder screw with the wrench, pull the brake lever all the way back to the grip, tighten the bleeder screw, and release the brake lever. You should see the nasty, old brake fluid start to come out.

Repeat this step until you start to see cleaner fluid coming out and don't see any air bubbles. Do not expect to see clear fluid coming through as you have to run brake fluid through your two front calipers.

NOTE: It is very important to keep an eye on the brake fluid reservoir. When it gets about half empty, pour clean brake fluid in up to the max line and continue to loosen/tighten the bleeder screw and compress the front brake lever.

6. Leave the bleeder screw on the master cylinder tight and remove the plastic tube. It's a good idea to have a piece of newspaper handy to catch any drip when the tubing is removed.
7. Repeat step 5 for the right front and left front calipers. My pic below only shows doing the right side. Be extra careful to watch the brake fluid reservoir and make sure to keep it full.

8. After draining the fluid in the front from all 3 bleeder screws, I'll normally repeat this once more to make sure I'm getting clean brake fluid and no bubbles.
9. Make sure the brake fluid reservoir is filled to barely below the max level. Do not overfill the reservoir as the pressure in the reservoir/lines can change and push the fluid level above the max line.
10. Put the bladder and cap back on the brake fluid reservoir and put the rubber nipples on the brake bleeder screws. If the bladder is popped out, like in the picture, push it back in. Tighten the philips screw to secure the metal that holds the reservoir cap down for safety.

11. Squeeze the brakes and make sure they're tight.

Brake Brakes

This is much faster than the front as there is only one bleeder screw on the rear brake.

1. Loosen the philips screw holding the rear brake fluid reservoir just enough to move the reservoir and get the cap off.
2. Remove the cap from the reservoir and set it on some newspaper.

3. Remove the rubber nipple from the rear bleeder screw, attach the wrench, and then the clear plastic tube. Like before, if the plastic tube doesn't fit over the bleeder screw, use a needle nose pliers to stretch it out. Make sure the other end of the clear plastic tube is still in your old brake fluid container.
4. Loosen the bleeder screw, fully depress the rear brake lever, tighten the bleeder screw, and release the rear brake lever. Watch the nasty brake fluid come out.

***Same thing as before, always watch the rear brake fluid reservoir and don't let it go below about half way. Refill as needed. ***

5. Repeat step 4 until you see nothing but clear fluid coming through the clear plastic tube. There should be no air bubbles. Step 4 above is steps 2, 3, 4, and 5 in the image below.

6. Make sure the rear brake fluid reservoir is slightly below or at the max level. Do not overfill. Tighten the rear bleeder, remove the clear plastic hose, wipe up any drip, and put the rubber nipple back on the bleeder.
7. Make sure the rubber bladder is back to normal (see pic above), put the cap back on the rear brake fluid reservoir, tighten the cap, and tighten the philips screw if you loosened it to get the reservoir cap off.
8. Step on the rear brakes and make sure they're tight. If this is your first time doing this, go ride around your neighborhood slowly to make sure everything is good.
9. When you're sure everything is good, pour the remaining, good brake fluid in the collection container. You can't save this stuff.
chuck_brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
yuengling910
Pastor of Muppets

Bike: 07 R6S
Re: How To: Brake Fluid Bleed

Nice job with the write up man!
yuengling910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
MikeN02
Mario J's Apple Juice

Bike: White Raven R6

Great write up. I rewatched Sportbiketrackgear's video a couple of times my first time to get it. Now I can do 3 bikes in about 20 minutes.

MikeN02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
wutsup
Yeah Science!

Bike: gixxer chrome edition

Very nice how to Chuck! I've never bled brakes on any vehicle before so this will come in handy in the future.
wutsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #5
R-Silaxin
Track=Cocaine

Bike: 06 R-6 Deathraven
I was going to do the same write up today...

Installed my Fren Tubos and took pictures along the way... Bleeding is a super simple concept... Just takes time.

For the front, if you start at the master cylinder, and work your way down to the calipers you'll be done in about 10 mins from start to finish!

Here's a couple pics just because...

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338695689488.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	79617Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338695733133.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	79618Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338695774266.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	79619Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338695837237.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	79620Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338695855788.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	79621Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338695908924.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	79622Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338695929364.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	79623Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338695951073.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	79624Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338695971573.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	79625
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL https://www.youtube.com/user/adam2cox
MY FACEBOOK http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...79&ref=tn_tnmn

MY XBL GAMERTAG: AmericanGingers
R-Silaxin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #6
babymilo36
Chairman Meow

Bike: Specialized Secteur

Bleeding brakes

CMRA #620
Wreck It Pandas #68

My 2008 R6 race build

babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
m3lover1
Lead3r of the Triads

Bike: Two dirty dirty bikes

Nice. I too used STG's videos

Proud winner of April 2013 ROTM with a bike that no one likes!

I <3 PASSION MOTORSPORTS

Street/Track Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Ive taken bigger shits than Ricky, but he has personality, so that should count for something......right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
I see my balls are in high demand in terms of cupping
RIP Jason (Snocompton). We will miss you.
m3lover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #8
R6G35
RIP Super Sic

Bike: 09 R6

Thanks for this, I'll be using this soon.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #9
cocomobile
RideTheSnake

Bike: 2004 R6

Love the write up man! Don't mind if I leech hahaha.

Quick question, what brake fluid did you use and how much (qty)? I'm thinking of ordering the Motul RBF600 500ml but not sure if it'll be too much as I'd hate to throw away the remains. How much did you have left over, if any?
cocomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #10
chuck_brimley
bacon...

Bike: 05 R6
I use castrol gt lma out of habit. I never looked into the difference between it and other fluids. It comes in a 12 oz bottle and I have about 3 oz left at the end. Perfect for if I goof up and need extra.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
chuck_brimley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement