Where to buy individual valve shims? : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Community Topics > General Discussions

Old 07-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
bryan j
pin it to win it

Bike: 07 r6, 06 yz250f
Send a message via AIM to bryan j
Where to buy individual valve shims?

I need a few shims and paying 80 bucks for a kit of 50 shims seems a little steep. I tried search and only found kits. Any place I can buy a individual ones?

Thanks

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Support the forum Vendors
bryan j is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
DTcrew4
Crew for Life

Bike: 2007 HighSided R6
Re: Where to buy individual valve shims?

Do you already know what size shims you need?

I suppose if you do, then you could go to your local dealer/service department.
DTcrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Mork201277
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Mork201277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
redwood650
Will work for track time

Bike: 04 R6, 06 CRF250X

Dealer can order single shims for you as long as you know what size you need. As mentioned already
redwood650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
bryan j
pin it to win it

Alright cool.

now 2 more questions.
So say the shim is a .155 and my clearance is .13. I want the clearance a lil more so I would need a .150 shim correct.

And while I'm doing this is their anything else I should replace like piston rings, cam chain, or tensioner

Body:
Robby moto sbk rearsets, woodcraft clip ons & sliders, armor bodies sbk fairings, db screen, vortex v3 gas cap, keyless ignition mod, agg sbk res kit,

Old 07-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
8Ball
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Bike: '03 R6, XR400, V-Star

Is that exhaust or intake clearance? Intake spec is .12-.19 mm, Exhaust spec is .16-.23mm. If it is intake, it is in spec (the lower end but in spec)

But to answer your question, if the shim says 155, then it is 1.55 mm thick. If you measured .13 mm, then a 150 (1.50 mm) shim would give you another .05 mm clearance theoretically so .18 mm. I say theoretically because worn shims are rarely the thickness they say, because......well, they are worn. So measure it with a set of digital calipers. I would guess that your 155 might actually be 1.53 thick. In which case putting a 150 in it would give you .16 mm clearance.

As to what else you should replace (Assuming you are around 20-25K miles). Piston rings would require tearing down the engine. Cam chain on some engines can be fished out without splitting cases, but it is a bitch and I don't know if it can be done on the R6....never tried it. Replacing the cam chain tensioner with a manual one would not be a bad idea, but not necessary.

I find a Soap Box comes in handy to get on my High Horse!
8Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #7
8Ball
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Oh, and another thing. when you figure out what sizes you need. Go to your local shop and talk to the mechanic, and see if they will swap out the ones you need in exchange for yours.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
bryan j
pin it to win it

Ok thanks man. My intake are all at .13 so I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and shim those. The exhaust are .15 so barely out of spec.

Also the cam lobe on cylinder 4 looks a lil worn compared to the rest, so that worries me a bit. Idk If I should replace it or if its fine. Kinda just looks like the coating on the lobe has wore off.

I don't mind pulling the head and doing the rings if its a good idea. This is my first street bike and I'm not sure how long a top end last. I know when I would do valves on my mx bikes I would do rings and cam chain also.

Body:

Old 07-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
8Ball
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball

Download the service manual (if you don't have it already). It gives you the measurements to check the cam lobe. You will need to remove it anyways to replace the shims.

How many are out or close to out of spec? If you need more than 10, I doubt that the service manager would let you do a free swap out, and the individuals are gonna cost $3-5 each, so you'd be better off buying the kit.

Finally, the maintenance for dirt bikes is vastly different than street bikes, which are designed to be more reliable for longer maintenance intervals. And the cylinders are part of the crank case on the R6, so piston rings mean splitting the cases. Unless you are racing, you are a loooonnng way from needing to do that work.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #10
bryan j
pin it to win it

Let me see what specs I wrote down. I have the Manuel but my computer crashed a few months ago.

Intake:
.13 .13
.13 .13
.13 .13
.10 .10

Exhaust:
.13 .13
.15 .15
.15 .15
.13 .13

So for sure I need 2 intake and all 8 exhaust. Might as well do all 16.
Intake should be .12-.19 so I'm aiming to get them at .15
Exhaust should be .16-.23 so .19 is my goal.

Looks like I might end up buying a kit. I just hope I won't need more than 3 of a certain shim size since all the kits I've seen only carry 3 of each size.

And ill skip the rings. It's way to much of a hassle splitting cases.

Body:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement