AlpineStars Tech Aero BP Review : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Product Reviews

Old 08-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #1
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

Bike: 2012 R6
AlpineStars Tech Aero BP Review

I needed a backpack for commuting and for those long weekend rides that require you to take a backpack. I searched far and wide….I even considered a tank bag or saddle bags but also wanted to something that would allow me to carry a nice load and maybe strap my helmet to it. So I narrowed it down to the Ogio backpack line up and the AlpineStars line up. I liked how Ogio offered a no-drag design, which AlpineStars does as well, but they were not completely water proof and did not have any options to strap your helmet to.

I then found the AlpineStars Tech Aero backpack. It has self-sealing water resistant zippers, helmet “pouch”, water proof cover, pockets for your MP3 player, easy access panels for your phone/money/driver’s license. It is also well vented and can accommodate a 15” lap top.

Zippers: They are self-sealing, which means, they have a rubber “flap” on both sides of the zipper which close behind the zipper as you close the zipper. They are water RESISTANT, not water PROOF.

Main Compartment: Contains a big pouch for a 15” lap top and it made of wet suit material so it’s gentle on your laptop. It also has multiple pockets and pouches inside the main compartment to accommodate your bikes tool bag, cables, and misc. items.

Outside top pocket: It is lined with a fleece material and designed to carry your sunglasses, phone, mp3 player (has a small opening to feed the wire through)

Straps: Another neat feature about the Tech Aero are the arm straps. They hold a small pouch which will accommodate your MP3 player. Across the chest you get a pouch which has a clear pocket and a solid pocket. The clear pocket can hold your phone/map/money/Credit Card or any important documents. The solid pocket can hold the same as the clear; it’s just solid and non-see-through.

“Belly” Straps: The straps that strap around your waist also have built in pockets. These are nice as they are easy to reach and can hold your wallet/phone/or anything that you may need in a hurry.

Helmet Pouch: Now, this was the seller for me. When you park your bike and you’re going to be away for a while and don’t want to leave your expensive helmet but also hate carrying it in your hand….well, fear no more. The pouch is easy to open and its even easier to strap down your helmet. This was super handy at MotoGp.

Detachable shoulder strap: The left should strap can be detached to make it easier when putting the back pack on…..with a simple press of the button…it breaks in half. If you have ever tried putting on a backpack with a leather jacket on…you know what a pain in the @$$ it is to put on….with this system….it makes it a breeze.

Water Proof Cover: Last but not least is the water proof cover that is built into the backpack. It is held in a pocket located at the very top next to the handle….you unzip the pocket, pull out the cover and pull it over the back pack….you’re Tech Aero is now water proof!!!! It also has a nice reflective AlpineStars logo for night visibility.

Over all, I am extremely happy with my purchase. I was able to fit a days’ worth of clothes, pair of shoes, toiletries, phone charger, wallet, sunglasses, phone, bikes tool bag. The straps across the chest and waist really help relieve all the weight off your shoulders. I would definitely recommend this back pack for the commuter and even the weekend rider for those long weekend rides. I know RidersDiscount carry this backpack and I’m sure they can give you a good price on it.

If you have any questions or would like me to take a pic of a specific part of the back pack…just post up your request and I’ll get to it as soon as I can.

bluerebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
Travis R6
2006 R6S

Bike: 2006 R6S
Send a message via Skype™ to Travis R6
Re: AlpineStars Tech Aero BP Review

Wow! This is a great review with lots of details. I recently purchased this:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Pr...kpack/16783182

Which I only got because I didn't have time to do much research and needed something cheap and fast. It does the job but now I am considering this Alpinestars backpack. My only concern is... how much room does it really have? The main compartment that is.

The current one I have has TONS of room and that's why it's good because I go to art school and have to pack a lot of crap in there... at least 2 binders, 11x17 sketchbook, 14 inch ruler, a case that holds all my pencils, pens, etc., and a cutting board.

Will this bag hold all of these things?

Appearance Mods
Dark Smoke Double Bubble Wind Screen

Performance Mods
None yet! First in line... exhaust.
Travis R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

I can't remember the exact capacity #'s but I forgot to me.tion that the main compartment does expand. Its actually really big, I was surprised.

I don't want to say I promise it'll fit but I'm 99.9% sure it would.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com App

Old 08-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
babymilo36
Chinese Immigrant

Bike: Specialized Allez Elite

That's pretty sweet. I love the Monster editions of the Alpinestars backpacks.

CMRA #620
Wreck It Pandas #68

My 2008 R6 race build

babymilo36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
That's pretty sweet. I love the Monster editions of the Alpinestars backpacks.
Meh.....I wish they had more color options for the tech aero but black is growing on me.....keeps the pack looking clean.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
Rocky5000100
I eat my R6

Bike: 2003 Track SV650, 05 R6

Nice review, thanks for posting.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
DeadEyeAce
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Bike: 08 R6

Thanks for the review, I have been in the market for a couple months, just have not pulled the trigger.

Just curious, how much? PM if you do not feel like throwing it out to the world.

2008 R6
Woodcraft Sliders
Hotbodies smoked rear intergrated taillight
Bar end mirrors
Proton front blinkers
Leo Vince slip on
DeadEyeAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
lopez95632
candy red

Bike: 07 r6s
Send a message via MSN to lopez95632

Price?
Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
bluerebel
Sometimes..........

I paid $179....I wont say from who as I will never shop from them again. The only reason I went with someone else other than RidersDiscount is because RD could not get me the pack before MotoGp and I needed the pack before Gp....so I went with the other guy. If this was not the issue....i would have purchased it from RD hands down....they gave me a great price but I just needed it asap.

If you are seriously considering this back pack...hit up RD....they beat any price and have great CS.

Also....when the pack is not expanded...its has a 16 liter capacity....when expanded...it goes up to 26 liter capacity.

Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
pickpocket293
iRun

Bike: Sold off in pieces.

Alpinestars? I'll wait until you've had it for ~6 months, then I wanna hear your feedback.

Things I am sick of explaining on this forum:
  • What's the difference between an R6 and an R6s? HERE
  • Should I start on a 600 or a 250? HERE
  • How do I ask the forum a question and actually get an answer? HERE
  • Where do I find a map for my Bazzaz? HERE
  • Should I get a 520 kit for MOA POWAH? HERE
  • How does rotating mass work? HERE
pickpocket293 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement