My Track to Street conversion/build : Yamaha R6 : R6 Forum

» Insurance
» Sponsors
» Yamaha YZF R6 Prices
Go Back   Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums > R6 Related Discussion > Bike Build Forum

Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Revelations
I eat my R6

Bike: 2005 R6- sold
My Track to Street conversion/build

Backstory: I just got this 05 R6 a couple on 8/5. The previous owner didn't like the feel of the bike so I got it at a great price. It's been downed, but checked by a frame shop so everything chassis wise is good.

So far, I've found quite a few missing parts that I have to replace and some obvious parts like lights that need to be replaced too. I pulled off the Leo Vince Ti exhaust. It sounds awesome, but a bit too loud for my taste and the can is pretty banged up. I would say the system is perfect for a track bike. I spent most of last week searching for parts and removing and tagging the wires. Yesterday, my little bro came over and helped me drop the motor out. The last pics are current and I need to decide if I want to pull the wheels and swing arm off to do some powder coating on them. I still need to order the gaskets necessary to R&R the transmission. The new fairings are being made by Auctmarts and will be a blue and black scheme.

On with the pics!

These were taken between when the bike first arrived until I got it ready to drop the motor.

Revelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Revelations
I eat my R6

Re: My Track to Street conversion/build

Taken yesterday after the motor was dropped out.

I welded up my own transmission adapter plate. I didn't want to pay $200 for a decent tranny jack. I bought 1/4" plate, drilled a big hole in the center, then TIG welded some support steel. Coated with plastidip. It worked out great.

This lil bugger is the reason I pulled the motor. I was told by the PO that while in 2nd, there was a clattering sound.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Miller'sR6
Lifetime Premium

Bike: 2012 Yamaha Blue R6

Good luck with your project looks like you have your work cut out for you.
Miller'sR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
m3lover1
Lead3r of the Triads

Bike: Two dirty dirty bikes

Good luck!

Proud winner of April 2013 ROTM with a bike that no one likes!

I <3 PASSION MOTORSPORTS

Street/Track Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by redisdeadrideblue View Post
Ive taken bigger shits than Ricky, but he has personality, so that should count for something......right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymilo36 View Post
I see my balls are in high demand in terms of cupping
RIP Jason (Snocompton). We will miss you.
m3lover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
stanmart
I eat my R6

Bike: 2014 Panigale, 2007 r6

Hey what do u recommend for getting motor back in? Im tempted to buy a stand.
stanmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
Revelations
I eat my R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller'sR6 View Post
Good luck with your project looks like you have your work cut out for you.
Thanks. I'm having fun with it. It's my first time doing major repair work on a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3lover1 View Post
Good luck!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanmart View Post
Hey what do u recommend for getting motor back in? Im tempted to buy a stand.
A couple of friends on steroids? Haha. This is my first time doing this, so I'm not sure. However, dropping it out wasn't all that difficult. I made a 12"x12" plate adapter for my floor jack and it worked out really well. I had my brother on one side to help balance it while the motor came down. I'll have him come back and help me install it. I just plan on putting it back onto my jack and jacking it up. I've read a bunch of different ways to reinstall the engine. Most involve straps and rafters in your garage. I've also seen someone use an engine hoist that works pretty well too. I guess it all depends on what's available to you and how much you're willing to spend.

The one thing that I didn't realize was that on the brake side of the lower engine bolt, there's a threaded spacer there. If you remove all the engine bolts and the engine still doesn't want to drop out, you need to unscrew that spacer until the engine becomes loose.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:18 PM   #7
TheJokester3
A work in progress...

Bike: 07 Candy Red R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2007r6 View Post
"I refuse to tip toe through life to arrive safely at deaths door".
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedub View Post
There is more to squidliness than just your gear.
Build Thread
TheJokester3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Revelations
I eat my R6

I got my Yama bond 4 today. OEM bearings and seals arrive on saturday. New OEM friction plates are ready as well as the Barnett clutch plates.

I got the plastic subframe tray installed. I need to pick up a rear seat latch assembly. I also pulled the swing arm off and removed the bearings. I'm going to drop it off at the powder coating shop this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0861.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	253.7 KB
ID:	83391   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0862.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	333.2 KB
ID:	83392  
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
Revelations
I eat my R6

Made some real progress tonight. I got the cases separated and pulled out the gear set with the broken 2nd gear. I still need to remove the torx bolts to remove the other set of gears. I might as well replace those while I can. It looks like the shift shaft cover and drum have to be pulled out so I can remove it. I'll probably end up replacing the forks while I'm in there. The forks don't seem to have much wear on them though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	273.9 KB
ID:	83459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	226.8 KB
ID:	83460   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0878.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	83461  
Old 09-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Revelations
I eat my R6

Good and bad day today.

Good- I got the new bearings installed on the swing arm and it's reinstalled.

Bad- I was installing the clutch basket and noticed it was pretty worn. I'm not really sure if I should reuse it or not. I did some searching, and it looks like it's normal, so I'm thinking I'll just reuse it. Another bad- I tried to reinstall the oil pump cover only to find out that most of the threads were previously helicoiled. Trying to thread them again broke the helicoil. Spent hours trying to rethread and gave up. Went out to autozone and picked up their thread repair kit. It works great! Directions kind of suck, but the threads are holding up under torque. I need to pick up another pack of the inserts though. Kit only came with 3 and I need 1 more. I also need to figure out how to mount that shock reservoir. It was previously zip tied to the sub frame. With the subframe tray installed, that's not possible anymore. I have an idea for it, but it will need to wait until other parts are installed.

I also found out that the HF bead breaker doesn't work all that great on the R6 rim. It works great on the 250 though.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0892.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	83604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0893.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	83605   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0894.jpg
Views:	754